Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? July 2011

Retired Threads
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri July 15th, 2011, 11:22 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Will you be reading all four one after the other, Brenna? You'll have to let us know whether you think it was worthwhile reading the first one after watching the series.[/quote]

Oh I'm pretty sure that I will be reading them back to back. Especially after seeing the end of the first season on HBO. I have to know what happens next! I'm only a little ways in, but I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on reading the first book even if you have seen the series. So far, I'm leaning towards absolutely! :D
Brenna

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat July 16th, 2011, 6:52 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'll be starting The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell tonight.[/quote]

I loved that book. Have you read her other ones? She's become one of my fav Brit writers of late (non HF)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat July 16th, 2011, 10:07 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Oh I'm pretty sure that I will be reading them back to back. Especially after seeing the end of the first season on HBO. I have to know what happens next! I'm only a little ways in, but I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on reading the first book even if you have seen the series. So far, I'm leaning towards absolutely! :D [/quote]

That's good news! I really must bump them up the pile.

[quote=""Ash""]I loved that book. Have you read her other ones? She's become one of my fav Brit writers of late (non HF)[/quote]

I'm very much enjoying The Hand That First Held Mine so far. I've read The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox and really enjoyed that one, too. I'm sure I have another book of hers on my TBR pile as well. Yes, I agree she's a good author.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun July 17th, 2011, 4:33 am

After You'd Gone and The Distance Between Us were two of her earlier ones that I enjoyed as well.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun July 17th, 2011, 10:25 am

I've had a look on my Librarything and see I have The Distance Between Us. So LT does come in useful sometimes!! :)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun July 17th, 2011, 12:59 pm

I am just about to start Sons by Pearl Buck, the second of the Good Earth series. It has been a while since I read The Good Earth........

Steve Anderson
Scribbler

Post by Steve Anderson » Mon July 18th, 2011, 2:09 am

I'm getting into Die A Little, the first of Megan Abbott's historical crime noir novels with a female POV. The writing's good but it feels more like a literary novel than a crime/mystery story so far, with no real incident to move the plot forward almost a quarter of the way in. I'm a sucker for the 1940s and 50s era so I'll keep going in any case. If Patricia Highsmith wrote stylized historical crime, it might go something like this.
http://www.stephenfanderson.com | Novelist, writer, literary translator

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon July 18th, 2011, 2:12 am

I finished 2 books yesterday the 16:
"Behind Closed Doors: At Home in Georgian England" by Amanda Vickery (340pgs, 2009)*. Not quite what I was expecting, but interesting regardless. B/w images through out with two coloured image sections.

"The Man Who Outshone the Sun King: A Life of Gleaming Opulence & Wretched Reversal in the Reign of Louis XIV" by Charles Drazin (320pgs, 2008)*. A very interesting look at the rise and fall of Nicolas Foucquet, the superintendent of finances in the early part of the reign of Louis. He worked under Mazarin and then under the king, but his riches caused jealousy and it was suggested that after a dinner at his palatial Vaux-le-Vicomte, Louis decided to ruin him, putting him on trial for embezzlement and high treason. A very sympathetic and well written book.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon July 18th, 2011, 9:10 am

Just started Helena by Evelyn Waugh, a novel about the mother of Emperor Constantine.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue July 19th, 2011, 12:45 am

I'm reading The Lost Crown by Sarah Miller. Excellent so far.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Archives”