Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Returning adventurer

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Manda Scott
Reader

Returning adventurer

Post by Manda Scott » Wed June 29th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Hi People...

I'm Manda Scott, an author from the UK - I was here a while ago and kind of fell out of the loop (dogs to train, books to read, agility websites to browse, books to write, more dogs to train, or rather, more training of the same now-very-trained dog) and now that said dog has had her pups and is more obsessed with them than with me, I'm back on line again and also reading far more than before. I'm part way through Joe Abercrombie's magnificent 'Best Served Cold' which isn't truly a historical novel, but has the feel of one - he has created such a complete world, with such a complete history to it. And for a change of pace, next on my list is a Philippa Gregory: to my great shame, I've never read one of hers and so am about to tackle 'The Red Queen'.

and it's good to be back

/waves to all

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed June 29th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Hi Manda and welcome back. What dogs do you have?

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed June 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Welcome back Manda! :)

Manda Scott
Reader

Post by Manda Scott » Wed June 29th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Madeleine - thank you - I have a working cocker spaniel bitch and now her litter of pups - which are four days old today (and yes, I am very slightly besotted). I wrote about having pups in the Boudica books, but it's a long, long time since I've actually done it.

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

Manda Scott
Reader

Post by Manda Scott » Wed June 29th, 2011, 3:56 pm

PS - if you want to see pictures (and this is of pups, nothing to do with books), go to:

my Eceni Agility Spaniels blog page

:)

m

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed June 29th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Hi Manda. Welcome back to the fold.
I loved your Boudicca books, by the way, and hope to get to your new series soon!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed June 29th, 2011, 4:09 pm

Unfortunately some of the pictures didn't come out, but Abigail looks very like a cocker that we look after sometimes, who is also a small roan - they have beautiful markings don't they? I would imagine you'd need a lot of patience training them though, if our little one is anything to go by!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed June 29th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Welcome, Manda! I know the feeling of puppy-rapture, my standard poodle bitch, Niffler, just produced 12 Sunday. Right now I am listening to the big ones hollering for mom from the basket in my kitchen, because with that many I separate out the strongest pups twice a day so the smaller ones can get a chance at the teats.

What amuses me is that my goldendoodle pups look pretty much the same as your Cocker pups. At that age, you can't tell breeds apart.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed June 29th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Hi Manda, welcome. The pups are adorable.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed June 29th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Welcome back, Manda. The puppies are gorgeous. We have English Springer Spaniels who are just a little bit older than yours at 8 and 10! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Introduce Yourself”