Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thank you card to agent

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Thank you card to agent

Post by Divia » Mon June 27th, 2011, 4:10 pm

I went to the conference about a week ago and one agent asked me for 50 pages. I am sending her a thank you card(the old fashioned kind ;) ) and I was wondering if I should include my business card as well or do you think thats tacky.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

DeAnnaCameron
Scribbler

Post by DeAnnaCameron » Mon June 27th, 2011, 4:56 pm

I think a thank-you note is a very nice gesture and says a lot about your thoughtfulness. :)
I'm not sure you need to send the biz card, though. (Unless you're like me and bought too many of the darned things and now just need to get rid of them...) She'll remember who you are when you mention your project, and if the 50-page submission you gave her has a cover page, she already has your contact information.
Good luck on the submission, btw! There were some awfully good agents at the conference and getting rep'd by any of them would be a very good thing...
DANCING AT THE CHANCE, love and vaudeville in Old New York (Berkley/April)
THE BELLY DANCER, a novel of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair (Berkley/out now)
www.deannacameron.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon June 27th, 2011, 6:47 pm

I can't see that it would hurt to enclose your business card, assuming it looks reasonably professional. It's not going to be offensive, and while it's probably superfluous, there's always a teeny-tiny chance she mislaid your contact info.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon June 27th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Well, she doesn't have any of my contact info. I havent sent the pages yet. She wants me to work on them before I send them off.

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Tue June 28th, 2011, 2:29 am

I would send my business card. It couldn't hurt. :)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed June 29th, 2011, 12:57 am

Good luck, Divia! I would send the business card with the note. The agent knows what is going through your head. I'm sure it's okay. I think it's great that you thought to thank her.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed June 29th, 2011, 6:31 am

I wouldn't send your business card. As DeAnna mentioned, she'll know who you are, and your contact details will be on the letter you've written to go with your 50 pages.

Good luck!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed June 29th, 2011, 1:41 pm

I didn't send the buisness card, mostly cause I forgot. :o OH well. I briefly reminded her about the novel and that I was the girl with the nice dress. Because she really liked my dress. ;) It was an upbeat little note. Nothing heavy. I don't operate that way.

Return to “The Writing Business”