Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Newbie from Belgium

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Nickie
Scribbler

Newbie from Belgium

Post by Nickie » Mon June 27th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm Nickie (nickname for Nicole) and I live in the historical town of Dendermonde, in Flanders. We had walls surrounding the city, but all that's left are two town gates and parts of the moat around the walls. I live quite near part of that moat, in fact.
I'm a single woman, who lives together with her sister - but don't think we're dried up spinsters! We both enjoy life and simply don't have a husband because he would get into our way.
I am a teacher by profession, and have been teaching since 1978. Yes, more than 30 years, and still loving the job! Right now, I'm busy with a special progam for newcomers to our country, in which children between 12 and 18 are going through an intensive course of Dutch for one schoolyear. Those kids are lovely, and you get a lot of respect from them.
Of course I love to read, and my first love was historical fiction. That's because my grandfather used to read to me from Alexander Dumas. When I could read myself, I devoured all the classics, and still love the genre now. But truth be told, nowadays I also read thrillers, especially good psychological ones.
A result of all that reading is that I began to think I could also invent such stories. And right now, I'm the author of already three novels in historical fiction.
I love to travel around the world, and apart from Australia I have been pretty much anywhere. I love to learn about different cultures and meet people.
I also love to go skiing in winter and can enjoy a good meal and a glass of excellent wine.

Nickie

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon June 27th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Welcome, Nickie! I hope you enjoy it here.

Cheers to the good meal and glass of wine! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon June 27th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Hi Nickie and welcome, have fun on the forum. I'm not keen on ski-ing but won't say no to the meal and wine! Where do you ski?
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon June 27th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Hey there. Great to have you here. Sounds like you're definitely in the right place!

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon June 27th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Welcome and enjoy.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon June 27th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Hi Nickie. What era do you write?

Nickie
Scribbler

Post by Nickie » Mon June 27th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Madeleine: I have been skiing in Swiitzerland and Austria when in Europe, and I also have been to the Rockies (Aspen, Jackson Hole, Steamboat, Park City in the US and Fernie and Banff in Canada) and the east coast states (Stowe in Vermont, and the Laurentides in Quebec, Canada). My most recent ski holiday was in Scuol, Switzerland on account I had a new kitchen placed last year and this year the bathroom needs renovation (so not too much money for trips).
MLE: I don't have any particular era but generally my novels are set in the 16th, 17th or 18th century. Places are England, France and Spain.

Nickie

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon June 27th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Hi Nickie and welcome. The Rockies are beautiful, aren't they?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon June 27th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Welcome, Nickie! Are your novels available in English?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon June 27th, 2011, 10:43 pm

Hi Nickie!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”