Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Editors/Agents looking for historical fiction

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
michellemoran
Bibliophile

Editors/Agents looking for historical fiction

Post by michellemoran » Sun September 21st, 2008, 6:59 pm

I've never been really certain how many people on this forum write historical fiction with the intent to publish someday. But just in case there are writers on here close to submitting:
  • Heather Proulx at Crown is actively looking for wonderful historical fiction (she recently became my editor and just purchased three books from debut authors!)
  • Dan Lazar, an amazing go-getting agent (not mine) is also one to consider when looking to place your historical fiction. He's with Writers House.
I never thought to post this information before, but if there are writers on this forum for whom this is useful, I'll continue to update once in a while if I come across agents/editors actively seeking his fic.

Good luck!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun September 21st, 2008, 7:43 pm

I'm interested. But here's a question. My first draft is done and nowhere near finished. I still need to rewrite it and have someone edit it. How far in the process should you be before you look for agents?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sun September 21st, 2008, 7:52 pm

Hi Divia,

Have it absolutely polished, and be careful who you have edit the book. Agents will only look at a manuscript once (unless they request revisions, which is rare), so if they say no, it's a no until you write your next book. Wait until you feel the book simply can't get any better.

Two blogs I absolutely can't recommend highly enough is Nathan Bransford's and Book Ends. When you're ready to write your agent query letter, I would look at every one of their posts on querying. Miss Snark was also an invaluable resource for new writers. Although I didn't find her until after I was published, I still read her blog daily until she quit. Her posts are still up there, however, and have a wealth of info about querying.
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun September 21st, 2008, 8:35 pm

Rockin.

Thanks so much for the information :) guess I better get moving!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 12:40 am

Thanks for all this good advice, Michelle! I especially appreciated the Bransford post about impatience, one of my besetting sins.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 1:02 am

Ha-ha! Yes. My first historical fiction novel (not Nefertiti) never saw publication because of my own impatience. An editor wanted me to revise, and I did such a rushed - from breathless excitement - job of it, that she ultimately passed. Hard lesson. But a good one.
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Mara
Scribbler

Post by Mara » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 9:58 am

Thanks alot for posting, Michelle. Very good to know.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 10:13 am

Thanks for the advice, Michelle. Hopefully I get to use it some day!

I've got two different novels - both set in the Napoleonic wars - in planning, another idea on the shelf. It'll probably be awhile until I ever get to write them though, as I'm writing my thesis next year and (hopefully) my doctorate after that. Maybe one day. :)

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 10:55 am

Thank you, Michele.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 3:59 pm

Oh, I love anything set in the Napoleonic wars! Hurry up and get that thesis done ;)
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Return to “The Writing Business”