Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Fiction Conference: What to wear?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Historical Fiction Conference: What to wear?

Post by Divia » Wed June 15th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Im seriously over thinking this. So I want some opinions.

I am on a panel and I also have an agent appt. Do you think it is OK for me to wear a dress with a shrug over it? Now the dress is a bit longer than most and comes past my knees. Bu tI dont want to be too dressy?

What are othe rpeople wearing
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu June 16th, 2011, 12:18 am

I'm at the same dilemma, Divia. Being 'of that age' and no longer on the meat market, (thank goodness), my first concern is comfort. But I don't want to look like a slob, either, so I guess hiking / writing clothing is out. And all I have left is stuff that's too dressy, which doesn't reflect me, either.

About the only thing I'm sure about is my re-enactor's garb for the costume event on Saturday night! :p

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu June 16th, 2011, 12:30 am

If my bustle fit in my backpack I'd take it. ;) But alas, I won't be dressing up for that event.

I don't think jeans would be a good option for me since I am pitching and on a panel.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Thu June 16th, 2011, 1:19 am

I've got a couple of those silky sundress-style maxi-dresses that seem to be so "in" at the moment, with casual cotton cardigans. So incredibly comfortable and can't be wrinkled no matter what you do. I'm rarely "in" but I've made an exception for this style.

Also some khakis, a tank top, and a nice silk jacket. Strappy cork-soled slides.

Nicely accessorized with pain pills, as my back, far from being "in," has decided to go "out." Way out. Ow.
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu June 16th, 2011, 1:45 am

I'm wearing a dressy-but-not-too-dressy dress to the Friday night dinner, a work-type dress to the Saturday activities (because I'm on a panel and am also doing a signing), and my costume to the Saturday night banquet (because I'm in the costume show and was told I might not have time to change if I wore my street clothes to dinner). On Sunday I'm just wearing jeans because I'm going to have to hurry out to catch my plane.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu June 16th, 2011, 1:50 am

One tip I see for every ALA (American Library Assoc.) Annual Conference--wear comfy shoes!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu June 16th, 2011, 10:20 am

I invested in a couple of smart casual wrap dresses that take me to talks and round and about but which aren't OTT. They pack well, don't take up much room and are forgiving on the cut. They can be dressed up or down with the accessories and are the most versatile items in my wardrobe.
Jeans work if they're smart and worn with a stylish top and accessories. Quite often you can dress up a casual look such as jeans by adding a statement piece of accessory, but of course the devil is in the right detail.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu June 16th, 2011, 2:51 pm

I hope that those of you who are going to the costume show will post your pictures of the clothing! That would be a lot of fun.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu June 16th, 2011, 4:43 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]I hope that those of you who are going to the costume show will post your pictures of the clothing! That would be a lot of fun.[/quote]

I'll get my dresser (my daughter) to take a picture of me and post.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu June 16th, 2011, 9:55 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]I hope that those of you who are going to the costume show will post your pictures of the clothing! That would be a lot of fun.[/quote]

Please do.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Chat”