Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

One of the most vile things I have ever seen

Divia
Bibliomaniac

One of the most vile things I have ever seen

Post by Divia » Sun September 21st, 2008, 2:55 pm

So I went to a local gelato place. It was good when I went before and I wanted to go back again.

I stepped into the store wearing a yellow shirt (so its not hard to miss me) and I stood there while the lady behind the counter was packing gelato into a container. Then I saw it...she stuck her finger in the gelato and ate it. :eek: At first I wasnt sure what I had seen because her back was too me. Then she put the container into the cooler and stuck her finger in the gelato AGAIN! I was horrified, but I waited to see if she noticed me. She put another container into the cooler AND THEN...stuck TWO fingers in the gelato made a huge sweeping motion got a big ol gob on her fingers and put it in her mouth. :eek:

Then she said to me. "Oh I didn't see you there."

Me: "Obviously."

Lady: "What would you like?"

Me: "Nothing now." and I walked out.

I was shocked and sickened. The place is soooo clean but if she does that out on the floor what the hell is she doing in the back when no one can see her? And I think she's the owners wife! My parents said I shoudl call them and complain...but if its the owners wife what is he going to do. Tell her "honey stop eating the gelato?"
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 21st, 2008, 3:27 pm

Good gravy, that's disgusting. I hope you report it to the health department. I have to wonder why she's not wearing the standard rubber gloves that one sees most food handlers wearing these days. One of my co-workers went up to pick up an order at the local Taco del you know what and saw one of the gals sitting (!!!!!) on the food prep table.

That's more gross health wise than you might think. I didn't realize it until I took first aid class but while AIDS dies on contact with the air, other things like Hep C do not and are easily transmitted to another person. The first thing they teach you before attempting CPR, etc. is to protect yourself from exposure. All you need is a scratch on your hand to be in contact with the blood/vomit or other body fluids of someone with Hep and you've got a good chance of getting it yourself.

I kid you not, years ago we had a bus go off a bridge and some of the good samaritans who went in and helped with first aid and more than one came back with a case of Hep C. Food for thought.

Mara
Scribbler

Post by Mara » Sun September 21st, 2008, 4:28 pm

I'd complain about it too. Fair enough if she took an unused spoon to a container but to dig your hands into it like a 5 yr old? Hmmm...

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 4:21 am

Makes you wonder what goes on behind closed doors.

Complain. Loudly.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 5:01 am

That's horrible. (shudders) Do report it, that is a definite health hazard.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 5:57 am

Urghh how disgusting, I don't think I would EVER go back there !!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 11:14 am

[quote=""Carine""]Urghh how disgusting, I don't think I would EVER go back there !![/quote]

Yeah I can't..not now. I mean I know what happens. Do they also do this when they are making the gelato? Test it first then put the spoon back in.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 11:27 am

[quote=""Divia""]Yeah I can't..not now. I mean I know what happens. Do they also do this when they are making the gelato? Test it first then put the spoon back in.[/quote]

Gosh yeah,who knows ! The more you think about it the worse it gets !

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 12:10 pm

The truth is that if we saw everything that happened in stores and restaurants, we probably wouldn't eat or buy anything anywhere. I have seen some stomach-turning documentaries.

BUT, if you saw this, you should report it to the store's owner at the very least. If you are removing your custom, they should know why.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 12:59 pm

After watching a few Chef Ramsey shows, I have concluded it may be best to inspect the kitchen of a restaurant before one dines there.

There have been food poisonings affecting hundreds at the most elegant hotel in Palm Beach as well as at smaller lesser known restaurants in Palm Beach country.

That is one reason I like to sit at the counter of an open kitchen and not only for the sanitary thing. It is like being at the ballet to watch a team of cooks weave through their stations without bumping into each other.

In San Francisco, my mother would not eat chicken in any restaurant until she was in her 40s. Her father was a Schochet, Jewish ritual chicken slaughterer, and she told me that when she was a girl helping him, Chinese restaurant owners often came to the store (1912-1929) and asked if they had any sick chickens to be purchased at a lower price.
Last edited by donroc on Tue September 23rd, 2008, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Return to “Chat”