Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Now here's a Princess dress I really do like

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon June 13th, 2011, 10:30 pm

That is a cute hat. And I like her with her hair up, for a change; looks much more dressy.

Now another subject that I've always kind of wondered about -- purses. Why, on official occasions, does Kate (and Diana before her) always carry little purses that must be held in the hand? I would think it would be much more convenient to wear the pretty little purse on a thin strap (such as a chain) that hangs from the shoulder, leaving hands free. Is that a "no-no" in royal dress code?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue June 14th, 2011, 12:13 am

I wish Americans would wear hats. I love them. I also look adorable in them! Not to be too egoistical, of course. ;)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue June 14th, 2011, 12:41 am

Posted by Michy
Why, on official occasions, does Kate (and Diana before her) always carry little purses that must be held in the hand? I would think it would be much more convenient to wear the pretty little purse on a thin strap (such as a chain) that hangs from the shoulder, leaving hands free. Is that a "no-no" in royal dress code?
It's a royal thing and a quite deliberate choice - it gives you something to do with your hands so that you look more poised and confident. Of course, once you get into serious "royalling", you have a handy lady-in-waiting lurking ready to grab your clutch and bouquets while you do the hand-shaking thing with admiring crowds.

The Queen, though, has always stuck to her trademark ubiquitous handbag slung over an arm :)
Last edited by annis on Tue June 14th, 2011, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Night Hawks" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue June 14th, 2011, 8:52 am

Yes I've noticed that lately the Queen seems to be wearing much brighter colours, rather than the pastels which can look rather washed out. Bright colours suit her; perhaps she has got a new adviser.
Currently reading: "The Night Hawks" by Elly Griffiths

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue June 14th, 2011, 2:26 pm

That's what I've been thinking. She's definitely looking more "with it." Now if someone could just get her to switch to a different style of handbag..... ;)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue June 14th, 2011, 2:55 pm

The handbag, like the Queen's hair, is her trademark! :D I think she's a pretty lady, especially so when she was younger. And Princess Margaret was quite beautiful.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue June 14th, 2011, 3:28 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""] I think she's a pretty lady, especially so when she was younger. [/quote] I agree -- and I think Prince Phillip was very handsome in his younger years. The queen has aged much better than he has, though. ;)

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue June 14th, 2011, 3:41 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I wish Americans would wear hats. I love them. I also look adorable in them! Not to be too egoistical, of course. ;) [/quote]

Long, long ago, in a (corporate) world far, far away; I wore hats all the time and it became my signature. When I hung up my pin striped suits and fedoras, I took up floppy gardening hats and baseball caps. I recently came back to it. Was thinking about bringing a snappy white number to the HNS conference.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue June 14th, 2011, 5:00 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I agree -- and I think Prince Phillip was very handsome in his younger years. The queen has aged much better than he has, though. ;) [/quote]

Yes, he was. And yes, she has!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue June 14th, 2011, 7:43 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Yes I've noticed that lately the Queen seems to be wearing much brighter colours, rather than the pastels which can look rather washed out. Bright colours suit her; perhaps she has got a new adviser.[/quote]

Maybe she's getting tips from her new granddaughter-in-law.

Return to “Chat”