Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What a pleasant young lady!

BrianPK
Reader

What a pleasant young lady!

Post by BrianPK » Wed June 8th, 2011, 3:00 pm

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed June 8th, 2011, 3:09 pm

I find it interesting that such a big deal was made about this event when I heard a few months ago that most cinemas here really don't care what people do as long as they get their money.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed June 8th, 2011, 3:28 pm

LOL. I had to laugh.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed June 8th, 2011, 4:24 pm

I remember being that young. Thank God there were fewer varieties of media to record my obnoxious behavior for posterity!

Although I did publish a book solely for the llama-raising community which was illustrated by true stories about people that I have had cause to regret. Fortunately it has been buried in obscurity, and there may it remain.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed June 8th, 2011, 8:03 pm

I saw this today because Michelle posted it and I had to repost it for my friends. OMG it was pure gold. How can anyone justify their rude behavior like that. And I love her reasons why she did. *snickers*

I wish more theaters would do this.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed June 8th, 2011, 11:52 pm

I just love the re-christening. I *like* the name Magnited States of America. It sounds so butch and action-hero-ish.

Heh.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu June 9th, 2011, 12:35 am

[quote=""MLE""]I remember being that young. Thank God there were fewer varieties of media to record my obnoxious behavior for posterity!

[/quote]

No lie :o

The magnited states of America?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu June 9th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Young, impulsive and crude. However...to be a devil's advocate. She said she was using her phone as a flashlight to help find her seat. In the "old days" ushers brought late comers to their seats using flashlights to navigate. I've walked into a dark theater with my popcorn and had to wait a little while for the screen to land on a "light" scene, so I could grope my way to my seat. That (maybe) legitimate reason got lost in all the rant and foul language. Not saying she was justified in her rant, but the original "sin" might not have been so sinful. :rolleyes:
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Thu June 9th, 2011, 11:16 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Young, impulsive and crude. However...to be a devil's advocate. She said she was using her phone as a flashlight to help find her seat. In the "old days" ushers brought late comers to their seats using flashlights to navigate. I've walked into a dark theater with my popcorn and had to wait a little while for the screen to land on a "light" scene, so I could grope my way to my seat. That (maybe) legitimate reason got lost in all the rant and foul language. Not saying she was justified in her rant, but the original "sin" might not have been so sinful. :rolleyes: [/quote]

I'm with you on this.But regarding her dreadful language,what is it with a lot of people today that in order to express themselves forcefully,they immediately descend (as in her case) to the level of a foul mouthed slattern? Is it simply a modern, coarse bad habit or is it caused by a very poor command of English and an inability to express their anger in acceptable but very forceful way?This non-stop casual use of foulness which can be heard everywhere now is totally out of control.

Return to “Chat”