Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Scotland to split from UK?

Brenna
Bibliophile

Scotland to split from UK?

Post by Brenna » Tue June 7th, 2011, 3:32 pm

This would make The Bruce and William Wallace very happy! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43077321/ns ... ws-europe/

Not sure how it will effect everyone though...
Brenna

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue June 7th, 2011, 6:05 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]This would make The Bruce and William Wallace very happy! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43077321/ns ... ws-europe/

Not sure how it will effect everyone though...[/quote]

Gosh, this site is quick on the uptake. The election was weeks ago -- 5th May, if my memory serves me because it was the date of the PR rererendum as well and this move has been on the cards for years. The idea of a referendum on Scottish independence is really not new, particularly since ever closer European integration. Mind you, I've always said I would be more than happy to emigrate to Scotland but then I am mostly Celt with very little Anglo-Saxon.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue June 7th, 2011, 7:50 pm

American's don't usually pay much attention to what is happening around the world, or at least that is the perception. Something must have sparked enough interest for it to become a headline.
Brenna

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Tue June 7th, 2011, 10:53 pm

Can't ever see it happening once Scotland has a similar level of economic prosperity as England. If,on the other hand ,London went mad and decided to introduce some really crazy policies which caused mass unemployment etc. in Scotland but not in England then the balance would swing towards independence but there's no chance of that happening. I think It would require economic desperation to sever the link and not just emotion .

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed June 8th, 2011, 12:31 am

Aren't there any members of the native Scottish royal family (with some relation to the Stuarts) still around?

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed June 8th, 2011, 5:45 am

[quote=""princess garnet""]Aren't there any members of the native Scottish royal family (with some relation to the Stuarts) still around?[/quote]

The Jacobite line of descent (from Charles I's daughter Henrietta Anne), still exists although they make no claim to the British throne. But I believe, although I can't remember the exact details, they are German just like the current lot. In fact, the current lot (ie the Windsors) possibly have more Scottish blood in their veins than they do English. And if they did decide to dissolve the Union, would they want to leave the Commonwealth as well?

The whole issue really takes us into modern party politics (about which I have no intention of dwelling on here) although that is not to say that the Union was not all that popular with the Scots in 1707 but then economics took over. Neil Oliver's programme "History of Scotland" is rather good on the 18th century.

Andrew Marr's (a Scot) in his book "The Day Britain Died" makes are rather interesting comment. When quizzed by his fellow countrymen that he does, in fact, live in England, he answers -- I don't live in England, I live in London.

As a Londoner, I can quite understand that.

But in the end it is for the Scots to decide and referendum is the only way to do that.
Last edited by SGM on Wed June 8th, 2011, 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed June 8th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Is Scotland separating from the UK really a viable possibility? Or is it one of those things that is perpetually discussed but is never really going to happen? (similar to Quebec's threat to secede from Canada). Although I've always had the sense that Scotland has never been "thrilled" about being part of the UK, it seems to me that the UK is here to stay and any talk of one of the member countries pulling out and restoring themselves as a separate political nation is just that -- talk.

Of course, I'm just a Yank so what do I know? ;)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed June 8th, 2011, 4:02 pm

I think you're probably right Michy - it is one of those things that comes up every now and then; occasionally Cornwall has a bit of an attempt at splitting from the UK too! But as the Scots and Welsh have their own parliaments, I do think that England should have it's own separate Parliament too - Wales and Scotland also don't have to pay for medical prescriptions, whereas the English (unless you're a certain age or on social security, have young children etc) have to pay for them, which is a very (excuse the pun) sore point! But somehow I think the UK is in for the long haul.
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed June 8th, 2011, 4:34 pm

IIRC, Western Australia voted to secede from Australia several decades back, and then nothing more was heard on the topic.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed June 8th, 2011, 5:22 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I do think that England should have it's own separate Parliament too[/quote]

When devolution (ie separate parliaments for Scotland and Wales) became a serious option, the next stage was really regional assemblies for England, rather like Wales has an assembly -- not a parliament as such but a body with delegated responsibility to discuss and vote on certain specific regional issues. Nothing really happened about that apart from some directly elected mayors (as with London).

The issue with Scottish independence will rest upon the majority party in Scotland actually putting the matter to a referendum of the Scottish people. The polling figures tend to vary according what is happening at the time the polls are done. But the figures today are very different from the figures that the pollsters were publishing in, say, the 70s. There are, of course, very important reasons for the change in attitude and the EU has made a tremedous difference. Ultimately, I would say, economics will be the issue that determines outcome -- as with everything else.

If the Scots did decide on independence, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as such would cease to exist and we would have to come up with another name for what is left.
Last edited by SGM on Wed June 8th, 2011, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat”