Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rant!!! Well sorta

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Rant!!! Well sorta

Post by Misfit » Sun September 21st, 2008, 2:02 am

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's because I've just got home (late) after three days on the road and I'm tired and cranky. :o :o Why in this day and age do sales people/prostelitizers(sp?), etc. think it's OK to go pounding on people's door at any time its convenient for them? Do people these days not realize that not everyone works 9-5? Do people these days realize it's not always the best idea in the world to open one's door to an unexpected stranger?

Worse yet, why do they think it's OK to go enter a property (i.e. apartments/condos) where there is a NO TRESPASSING sign at each entry of the property and think they've a right to be there, let alone look dumb-founded when it's pointed out to them that they're trespassing??????? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

OK, I think I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 21st, 2008, 2:09 am

They do this because being inconsiderate and rude is the way to be nowadays it seems. I see it in how kids act, how parents treat their children, in how retailers treat their customers (and vice versa) and how people in general treat each other. I dunno, maybe people haven't changed so much, maybe its just that I've gotten older and I now notice the rudeness. But it is tiresome.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun September 21st, 2008, 3:39 am

Agreed with the rude part. I never answer the door. I open the window and ask what they want.

NO I agree people are ruder.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun September 21st, 2008, 3:53 am

I am so tempted to post a sign on the property that reads "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be riddled." So, you're not the only one who hates it. At least there's now a way to get taken off of junk mail/junk phone call lists.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun September 21st, 2008, 12:57 pm

[quote=""Ash""]They do this because being inconsiderate and rude is the way to be nowadays it seems. I see it in how kids act, how parents treat their children, in how retailers treat their customers (and vice versa) and how people in general treat each other.[/quote]

Folks here in the South are still overly polite and very conversive with one another, whether friend or stranger. We're brought up from babies that way. Toddlers are taught to call an adult woman 'Miss' and the first name and then to say please and thank you. Respect and good manners are important and even teens, no matter how they look (Goth, grunge, pop tart, etc) are polite to older people. I don't know how teens treat each other though now, since that was thirty or so years ago for me. I get called m'am by teens at the cinema and malls which really amuses me since I don't have kids and don't think in a parental way at all!

Charleston SC has topped the list of best mannered cities in the States for the past ten years according to Marjabelle Stewart, an etiquette expert!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:37 pm

This year I'vehad to chase three people off my land who though they could use my cornfield as their own personal bedroom. Two of the people were adults! :mad: Honestly some people are so messed up in the head. I confronted all three of em, and finally after the adult incident I put up a fence.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:45 pm

There have been times when I wanted to dump boiling pitch on the more persistant from the 2nd floor. :mad:

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Sun September 21st, 2008, 10:05 pm

"Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be riddled."

:D :D :D :D :D

This year I'vehad to chase three people off my land who though they could use my cornfield as their own personal bedroom.

OMG! I've chased folks off our land when they were using it as a park (picnics, ball games, etc), but I've not seen this. Is it next? :eek:

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 21st, 2008, 11:07 pm

Well, I have to admit that I and my friends did so, unintentionally.

We were in college, and lost. We were all too sleepy to drive, and knew we were near the national forest. So we pulled into a driveway area, got out our sleeping bags and slept on the side. About 4 in the morning we are woken up by lights and a horn. Lady screaming, what are you doing in my yard??? Um, this isn't the Coronado Forest? Oh, two more miles down, ok, sorry, thanks. And we slinked off as quickly as we could.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 12:17 am

ROFL, what a great story. We're going to have to talk Arizona one of these days, although now that mom's gone and I've FINALLY sold the property in Show Low she dumped in my lap I'm not visiting there anymore :p :o :)

Return to “Chat”