Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Internatational Kindle Book Buying

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
Brenna
Bibliophile

Internatational Kindle Book Buying

Post by Brenna » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 10:23 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Ah, well not in the UK and you can't buy a Kindle book from another country's store. Shame. Well, I'm glad it's good and I hope to read it in due course![/quote]

Does anyone else think that is the dumbest thing ever? It's e-book for crying out loud!
Brenna

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 12:08 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Does anyone else think that is the dumbest thing ever? It's e-book for crying out loud![/quote]

Yeah I think thats super dumb. I mean I think that might be ONE reason to use a kindle..you can get books published outside the US first. That would be a great selling point.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 6:40 am

Not being a Kindle owner I had naively assumed that an e-book download would be just like a music one, not region specific. After all, it doesn't make any difference where in the world a digital download comes from. But apparently it's all to do with publisher's rights, so the e-book supplier has to have an agreement with a book's publisher (and presumably come to an agreement over the publisher's cut of the sale) before they can make it available as a download through their site. This can happen with (legal) music downloads too- for example, it took a while for iTunes Store to get permission to supply Sony music downloads to the New Zealand market because Sony played hardball about their rights.

EC told me:

It's region specific becasue publishers are frequently region specific, therefore there's a demarkation of which publisher has the profit from e-book sales depending on geographical location. I am published by Sphere in the UK and Sourcebooks in the USA. So UK readers can get all of my books on Kindle, but USA ones can't. USA ones can only buy the Kindle editions that Sourcebooks have made available.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 12:35 pm

[quote=""annis""]Not being a Kindle owner I had naively assumed that an e-book download would be just like a music one, not region specific. After all, it doesn't make any difference where in the world a digital download comes from. But apparently it's all to do with publisher's rights, so the e-book supplier has to have an agreement with a book's publisher (and presumably come to an agreement over the publisher's cut of the sale) before they can make it available as a download through their site. This can happen with (legal) music downloads too- for example, it took a while for iTunes Store to get permission to supply Sony music downloads to the New Zealand market because Sony played hardball about their rights.

EC told me:

It's region specific becasue publishers are frequently region specific, therefore there's a demarkation of which publisher has the profit from e-book sales depending on geographical location. I am published by Sphere in the UK and Sourcebooks in the USA. So UK readers can get all of my books on Kindle, but USA ones can't. USA ones can only buy the Kindle editions that Sourcebooks have made available.[/quote]

It is odd how they do this. I have a friend who lives in Annis' neck of the woods and she's just bought and read via kindle a book not available yet in the US, but purchased via Amazon US for her region and was able to review it on Amazon even though it isn't ready for US readers to purchase and review (hope that makes sense). Her review was rather lukewarm and she's getting attacked from all ends, 1) for liking the book and 2) for being able to review it when it's only available for review by Vine folks.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 1:07 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]It is odd how they do this. I have a friend who lives in Annis' neck of the woods and she's just bought and read via kindle a book not available yet in the US, but purchased via Amazon US for her region and was able to review it on Amazon even though it isn't ready for US readers to purchase and review (hope that makes sense). Her review was rather lukewarm and she's getting attacked from all ends, 1) for liking the book and 2) for being able to review it when it's only available for review by Vine folks.[/quote]

It's annoying! I understand about the regional demarcations between publishers, but I can't understand what is different between me in America buying a paperback from Amazon UK (which I can do) and me buying a Kindle book from Amazon UK (which I can't do).
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 2:36 pm

That is annoying. Authors who retain their own digital rights (a lot of midlist authors whose rights reverted and indie authors are doing this) can put their books on Kindle world wide and their books will be sold in all the Kindle stores. Authors who are with publishers might want to look at what rights they have. If the digital rights are country specific, they may want to "publish" on Kindle outside those countries on their own. US/UK Kindle digital publishing is a big chunk of the English speaking population, but not the whole. Think of India! My book is now available (in English) in the German Kindle store (for 70% royalty) and as Kindle expands it will be in each store.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 3:25 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]It's annoying! I understand about the regional demarcations between publishers, but I can't understand what is different between me in America buying a paperback from Amazon UK (which I can do) and me buying a Kindle book from Amazon UK (which I can't do).[/quote]

I agree. I don't see the difference either.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 6:02 pm

Apparently we aren't lawyers ... A lawyer would not only know why this is the way it is, but would passionately be able to defend the way it is.
:)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 7:47 pm

Traditionally published authors are able to sell their books to each country separately. Thus, if the book hasn't been sold to a UK publisher, then it won't be available and vice versa.

Once again, it's a 20th century model that's not yet adapted for the 21st.

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”