Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

HNS Conference Question: Blue Pen Cafe?

hfwriter
Scribbler

HNS Conference Question: Blue Pen Cafe?

Post by hfwriter » Wed June 1st, 2011, 3:50 pm

Does anyone know how to sign up for the Blue Pen Cafe? When I registered for the conference I didn't see a place to join that workshop and I'd love to be part of it.

Also, got my agent/editor meeting assignments yesterday, and I'm *this* close to cancelling them b/c I am not where I thought I'd be with my manuscript. It's not polished at all and I don't feel ready to pitch it. Two more months? Yes. July 18 and 19? No.

Do the meetings HAVE to be pitch sessions or can they be more like author/agent introductions and a conversation about the book with a promise to query in two months?

I think I've read too much Ms. Snark and I'm getting nervous.

hfwriter
Scribbler

Post by hfwriter » Wed June 1st, 2011, 4:11 pm

I think I'm going to cancel until I'm completely ready so that those time slots open up for other people who may have registered later than me.

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Wed June 1st, 2011, 9:42 pm

Regarding the Blue Pencil Cafe, all I know for sure is that I'm signed up to critique from 11-noon on Saturday. Ann Chamberlin, who is organizing this, emailed me that her plan was to have sign-up sheets at the registration desk. So unless there's been a change, you'll have a chance to sign up when you register.
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed June 1st, 2011, 11:09 pm

Oh cool, you can bring stuff for ppl to critique?

hfwriter, I asked the same question last time. I thought my manuscript was ready, but it wasn't. I still went on my pitches. At that time it was two. One went very well, which I think was a lost opportunity. The other the lady pretty much told me YA historical fiction doesnt sell and thats not what she wanted.

It was good and bad. I like the experience. I think it will help me with my pitch this session.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

hfwriter
Scribbler

Post by hfwriter » Mon June 13th, 2011, 12:38 am

I just saw these responses, thanks you two!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon June 13th, 2011, 8:29 pm

This has just reminded me that I need to print something out to bring. I'm getting wicked nervous!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Chat”