Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Something interesting about you and/or your family

Grasshopper
Scribbler

Post by Grasshopper » Thu September 25th, 2008, 2:41 am

My sister does a lot of geneology in our family.

My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Raglan...as in the Raglan castle in Wales. It'd be neat to see the castle but I'm just a redneck from Oklahoma who has blood from England and Ireland.

Just a tidbit...don't know how earth-shattering...

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Thu September 25th, 2008, 6:59 am

Oh, we have a Brudenell, which makes me a very distant cousin of he of Balaclava fame, or infamy, rather.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu September 25th, 2008, 7:34 am

The half of my family I know most about is actually my mother's side. I have and aunt who is very into the genealogy thing. Truth to tell, I've heard so much of that side, it's a little tedious, but here goes:
My maternal grandfather was born on the boat coming over to the US from Northern Italy. The family was an old Waldensian one (early sect of proto-protestants, beliefs similar to the Hugenots, much-persecuted.) When he got into his nineties, he insisted on speaking the language of his childhood, which surprisingly was not Italian, but French.
We still have cousins in the area above Turin, and my sisters and daughter have gone visiting. The Waldensians were actually rather admirable, and I'd appreciate them more if I hadn't had to gag on tales of their long martyrdom all my childhood.
On the other side of my mother's family We have a circuit-riding preacher (My grandmother's father) from the Ozark mountains. He got run out of the area for interfering with a gang of moonshiners. My Mom claims that he was one of the models for the old book 'Shepherd of the Hills' by Harold Bell Wright (a 1907 bestseller as treacly as the stuff Gene Stratton Porter wrote), which may well be true as the two men were friends and farmed ranches next to each other for years in California's Imperial valley. That side is Pennsylvania Dutch (as in Deutch, German.)
And somewhere in there is some Scotch, surname Dunn. I looked up their plaid once, and it was so hideous I decided that if I ever had to wear one I'd go with the Sullivan plaid from my father's side. Don't ask me how an Irish surname got a plaid, but they do, and it is a very pretty forest green, cranberry and black.
My high school graduated Gene Roddenberry (Star Trek originator) and the rival school Ray Bradbury. Both came and did a guest lecture annually for old time's sake.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu September 25th, 2008, 2:03 pm

Clothes designer Betsey Johnson went to the same high school as my dad and his siblings. She graduated a few years earlier than he did.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Thu September 25th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Then luckily for you, the whole clan plaid thing is a myth.

And somewhere in there is some Scotch, surname Dunn. I looked up their plaid once, and it was so hideous I decided that if I ever had to wear one I'd go with the Sullivan plaid from my father's side. Don't ask me how an Irish surname got a plaid, but they do, and it is a very pretty forest green, cranberry and black.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu September 25th, 2008, 4:06 pm

the Irish do have plaid as well.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu September 25th, 2008, 5:08 pm

[quote=""Grasshopper""]My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Raglan...as in the Raglan castle in Wales. [/quote]

I've been there recently. Very attractive castle.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Thu September 25th, 2008, 5:49 pm

the Irish do have plaid as well.
As do the French, Spaniards, italians, Germans, Poles, Ukrainians, Caucaisan tribes, and Arabs...

Return to “Chat”