Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What's the Point, Kindle? (rant)

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu May 26th, 2011, 8:19 pm

[quote=""MLE""]My friend has a nook, and I have a kindle, so we are always comparing. I'm glad I went with the Kindle (I chose it for the keypad, to enter notes, altho it is a pain when reading, I keep holding it by the keys unintentionally) because it weighs four ounces less--not a big deal until you have to hold it up for an hour-- and, the biggest plus, because the battery lasts me THREE WEEKS when I have the wireless off.
[/quote]

The newest nook weights less than the classic and it has a TWO MONTH battery life, or so they say.

I dislike the clunky keyboard of the Kindle so didn't buy it.

Yeah Amazon has more books now but I'm sure that will change as well. Plus you can download books from Kobo and change them over so the Nook can read them.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri May 27th, 2011, 8:38 am

[quote=""Divia""]and it has a TWO MONTH battery life, or so they say. [/quote]

This is really misleading because the battery life estimate is based on only a half hour usage per day though, where as Kindle's was based on an hour usage, which is typically the industry standard for anything which uses batteries. So they have the same battery life. If you notice, Amazon have responded by changing their battery life to match by simply cutting the usage in half (though they do still mention you'll get one month out of an hour usage per day):
Battery Life of Up to Two Months
A single charge lasts up to two months with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. If you read for one hour a day, you will get battery life of up to one month.
So I feel like B&N are being a bit sneaky with that - trying to make the battery life look better than Kindle when it's not and Amazon have been forced to respond. I don't think 30 minutes a day is a very realistic usage for most people buying into an ereader. It could backfire on them and they might wind up with a lot of unhappy customers who didn't read the fine print and complain that their battery is only lasting less than a month when they were expecting two months.

The only major thing I can see that the new Nook will have that the Kindle doesn't is an eInk touch screen. But honestly, I'm a little apprehensive about that - I was just talking about how the eInk screen doesn't look/feel like a "screen" and I'm worried that a touch screen will make it feel that way. I'm honestly not just saying that because Kindle doesn't have a touch screen and I have a Kindle. I have no doubt that Kindle's next model WILL have a touch screen (it looks like pretty soon, every ereader will have an eInk touch screen except for Kindle) and I'm genuinely not sure how I feel about that. It will make navigation easier but I may lose that "anti-screen" feeling. At least with Amazon's 30-day return policy, I can try it out and if I don't like it, send it back and stick with my current model. Whereas I've heard with the Nook, you can't return it once it's been removed from the packaging.
Last edited by Mythica on Fri May 27th, 2011, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Word to Kindle or Nook Formatting

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Sat May 28th, 2011, 12:42 am

Actually, it's relatively easy to convert a Word document to .MOBI which is the Kindle format or .EPUB which is Nook's. All it takes it Microsoft Word, of course, & some free software. I use Calibre. Calibre is available at http://www.calibre-ebook.com. In Word, Save As your document in .HTML. Open Calibre & Add Book. Choose the file location where you saved your .HTML file & select it. After you've added your book, select Convert Book. Follow the screen directions being sure to select the format that you want to convert to, .MOBI or .EPUB. Save your conveted document to a file location of your choice.I use Windows Explorer, a USB cable, and drag & drop to load the document on my Kindle.
This works for me & does a great job.
I hope this helps or let me know if anyone needs more info,
Alvin

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sat May 28th, 2011, 11:05 pm

Ellis Peters is by far one of my favorite authors and I have all but 3 of her books at home. That said, they take up a lot of space! Probably the reason they aren't available on Kindle is that she's dead. A lot of mid-list and former mid-list authors are putting up their own books once their rights have reverted back to them, but unless her heirs do it, it's unlikely to happen. Probably she never signed anything about ebook rights, so the publisher doesn't actually have the rights to them either. It may be that some of her books are available because of some kind of deal . . . different publisher? different era/contract? her heirs are slowly figuring this out?

BTW: Amazon has signed a deal with the big library distributer in the US such that you can download library books starting in the autumn onto your Kindle, the same way you can with a Nook.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun May 29th, 2011, 2:53 am

Yeah, Amazon finally realized that maybe they should allow their users to get their library books. Took em long enough. :rolleyes:

The touch screen is a huge seller for me. Ilove it on my nook classic.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 4:44 pm

Don't know if this will help with your particular needs, Rowan, but there are publishing companies coming out with OOP digital imprints. Here's an announcement from Bloomsbury:

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/bloom ... itles.html
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 5:23 pm

I didn't think I had any interest in an e-reader until the past few months. I read 2 hours + per day on commute, and the convenience combined with rapidly increasing availability finally won me over.

After doing some research, I've decided on the new Nook coming out. The determining factors were the Android guts and the user-replaceable battery. Also, I was initially impressed with B&N 2M books available, compared to Amazon's 950K. But after downloading Nook for PC and looking around their store, I question whether it's really 2M separate books. I see a LOT of multiple copies/versions of Google Books classics (free). Garbage, for the most part. And if they're counting each of those versions as a separate book, then ... yeah, sure it's 2M. But ultimately, the count between the two (Amazon v. B&N) doesn't much matter. Availability is skyrocketing for both, and I've decided it's enough to make it worth my while. I have a couple of monster hardcover books I bought recently, that I suspect I'm probably going to buy as ebooks, too, because I just don't want to deal with 900+ page hardcover on commute.

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”