Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which historical person should Philippa Gregory write about next

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Thu September 1st, 2011, 6:47 pm

None whom I mention or write about -- all else is fair game for her. :D

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu September 1st, 2011, 9:31 pm

I say turn her loose on Cleopatra. Ancient Egypt is "in" right now.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri September 2nd, 2011, 2:45 am

[quote=""annis""]Why does the worrying thought "Eleanor of Acquitaine" come to mind? Please, no...[/quote]

I could see her doing this.

[quote=""LCW""]Has her work gotten any better in the last few years? After reading The Other Boleyn Girl and one other of her novels, I don't even remember the title of it, PG is one of the authors I avoid.[/quote]

In my opinion she is as lackluster as ever. I noted so on a blog and the owner of the blog got annoyed. :D She is repetitive. I'm joan of arc. I'm joan of arc. I'm joan of arc. her stories aren't interesting anymore. She was fine for back in the day, but not anymore.

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I say turn her loose on Cleopatra. Ancient Egypt is "in" right now.[/quote]

Oh dear. One can only imagine what she would do with Cleopatra.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri September 2nd, 2011, 4:02 am

[quote=""donroc""]None whom I mention or write about -- all else is fair game for her. :D [/quote]

I don't know about that. I used to feel possessive about the historical characters in my WIP, hoping nobody else beat me to the punch. But now I'm thinking, the more the merrier! If a high-profile author decides to write about the same character, it will only raise interest, give him/her a 'marquee name' and very likely drive more readers to MY work, whenever it becomes available.

So Philippa Gregory, please write about Maria Pacheco! Or her brother, Diego Hurtado de Mendoza. Just don't put them in the sack together--that's more than even my pragmatism could stomach.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Fri September 2nd, 2011, 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri September 2nd, 2011, 6:36 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I say turn her loose on Cleopatra. Ancient Egypt is "in" right now.[/quote]

No... stay away from my Egyptian queens, please. :p
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri September 2nd, 2011, 11:38 am

She is repetitive. I'm joan of arc. I'm joan of arc. I'm joan of arc. her stories aren't interesting anymore. She was fine for back in the day, but not anymore.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri September 2nd, 2011, 3:24 pm

Is it as bad as the last?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri September 2nd, 2011, 4:24 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Is it as bad as the last?[/quote]

Worse. Margaret of Anjou and Jacquetta are limp as a dishrag. Then there's the every freaking time someone is mentioned we get their entire complete name, i.e. Edmund Beaufort Duke of Somerset, Richard, Duke of York. Over and over and over and over again.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri September 2nd, 2011, 5:00 pm

I tried to get a netgalley of this but it didn't work. I figured if I can't get it for free then I'm not getting it.

My library and I are in a tug of war. They think I destroyed a book, when I told them the book looked like that before. They want me to pay 15 bucks. I figure I'll inter library loan through my library.

Since I can't get it for free I'll skip this one.

Cover is nice though. :)

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri September 2nd, 2011, 5:21 pm

I really like the cover too Divia :) I mostly do like PG's covers, but not the content, alas.

Return to “Philippa Gregory”