Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PDF conversion

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

PDF conversion

Post by LoveHistory » Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Not sure if this should be in here but I didn't know where else to complain/plead.

Is there a program somewhere in the world that allows one to create a 6x9 inch page size PDF?

I found a free program that will resize PDF pages but apparently goes by pixels. I can now tell you that 6 pixels by 9 pixels is very very very small.

I don't much care for technology. And I don't like that CreateSpace won't take a Word file. Has to be PDF. I just want to use my free book code from winning NaNoWriMo to create a sort of galley. It should not be this difficult. Or maybe I should not be so dim. Either way, I'm annoyed.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed May 18th, 2011, 12:54 am

I use Indesign or Corel to create my PDFs, but as far as I know, Word will do the same. Just make sure the page size on your Word program is 6" x 9". then export it as a pdf.

If you don't know how to resize pages in Word, go to the file menu, choose 'page setup', click the 'paper' tab, and type in the desired dimensions under width and height. It will automatically change from 'letter' to 'custom'.

Hope this helps.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed May 18th, 2011, 12:58 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Not sure if this should be in here but I didn't know where else to complain/plead.

Is there a program somewhere in the world that allows one to create a 6x9 inch page size PDF? [/quote]

If you have Word, you can create a template that uses 6x9 paper and then convert that to a pdf. If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat, you can use Word's print function to create a pdf from there, and it should be the right size. My husband also recommended a free program called CutePDF which you can use if you don't have Acrobat to do the conversion for you.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed May 18th, 2011, 2:36 am

Ok. I have it set perfectly in Word. Tried printing to a PDF using PrimoPDF and while the text is in the proper size box for a 6x9 it's on a standard letter size page.

Apparently I do not have the full version of Adobe. Another thing for my wishlist. Used to use CutePDF. Only used it on a newsletter that was letter size. Perhaps I should try it for this.

Thank you both for your help. I feel very behind the times or ignorant depending on the moment. Don't like when little things trip me up. Makes me doubt myself.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed May 18th, 2011, 3:25 am

I think you may be able to update/upgrade Adobe Acrobat for free. Have you tried that?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed May 18th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Michy, I only have the Acrobat Reader and I think I've got the latest version of it. Looks like I need to budget for a good chunk to invest in software. *sigh*

Return to “The Writing Business”