Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Latest Amazon Flame War re: Spamming Authors

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Latest Amazon Flame War re: Spamming Authors

Post by Misfit » Mon May 16th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Well this is getting entertaining. As best as I have it Amazon started up a new *Community* over the weekend where authors can focus on themselves and do some chatting and self-promo. The announcement thread says that self promo in other communities is coming to a halt (they're all grave yards anyway because of the spam). As you can see from this thread things are getting a wee bit heated between the authors and readers over the issue, and there's also a bit of discussion going on at this thread at the romance boards, where the participants have actively fought against authors spamming.

Many of the romance troops have recently bailed Amazon to some extent and have started a group at Goodreads where they can enforce the spamming rules on their own.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue May 17th, 2011, 7:09 pm

I'm tempted to make popcorn before starting to read. :D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue May 17th, 2011, 7:44 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I'm tempted to make popcorn before starting to read. :D [/quote]

It wouldn't be a bad idea...

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Post by N. Gemini Sasson » Wed May 18th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Not surprised that Amazon finally took a general action, but it was bound to happen. The disconcerting part is that there are authors who still don't see that their relentless self-promotion has been driving readers away.

Anytime a person has goods or services for sale, it has to be realized there are appropriate places and times to advertise - as well as inappropriate ones. Intrude on those boundaries and people begin to feel pressured and uncomfortable. They will either go away or put up walls.

I've been furniture shopping lately and in every store but one I was accosted by a salesperson less than a minute after I stepped inside the front door. Where did I end up buying my furniture? At the one place where the salesperson didn't stalk me.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed May 18th, 2011, 3:57 pm

Where did I end up buying my furniture? At the one place where the salesperson didn't stalk me.
Bingo. There's been new flames overnight with the announcement that Amazon is getting into publishing somehow and that is the motive behind this big move. Might be, might not be - I still think they realized that their forums were ghost towns and if someone's (a real reader, not an author) recommending books over at say Goodreads it isn't an automatic click to Amazon. Either way, I think they've forgotten they are in a public forum. They aren't looking very good and some posts have been down right nasty. One or two should have walked away from the keyboard and had a good night sleep before posting IMO.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu May 19th, 2011, 1:13 am

Where did I end up buying my furniture? At the one place where the salesperson didn't stalk me.
You'd think at some point salespeople would realize this sort of thing is counterproductive. I hate having salespeople in my face, distracting me from considering my potential purchase. If I have questions, I'll ask. And when authors do this in forums, I instantly assume (in some cases, probably incorrectly) that their books are not well written. In most cases, I suspect bad behavior on forums correlates with writing that is not polished enough to be ready for readers. Novelists need a good deal of insight into human emotions and behavior to bring their characters to life in a compelling way (whether a character is sympathetic or villainous), and a novelist with this type of insight will probably also have enough insight to realize what a turn-off hyper-promotion is to potential readers of their work.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Chat”