Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Conspirator and Something More

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

The Conspirator and Something More

Post by Rowan » Mon May 9th, 2011, 5:08 pm

This weekend I went with a friend to see the film The Conspirator. For those of you who don't know what it is about, briefly:

It is the story of Mary Surratt who, along with seven other men, were tried and convicted of the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln. Although it was her son who was actively involved in the plot, he conveniently vanished after the assassination and the government was convinced that Mrs. Surratt was involved as well because she owned the boarding house where the men often met to plan things out.

I enjoyed the film, despite not being very keen on American history. The thing that caught my eye most, though, was that it was produced, in part by a fairly new company called The American Film Company. You can read about them at your leisure, but this is the main reason for my post:
Founded on the belief that real life is often more compelling than fiction, The American Film Company produces feature films about incredible, true stories from America's past. Central to the company's filmmaking will be prominent historians, assuring that each production remains true to the history from which it is drawn.
What do you think about this company and their goals?

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Mon May 9th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Since making that post I have begun watching a video on the company's website stating that they will have historians on hand throughout the development of each script and people will be allowed to discuss things as they unfold. Mainly, it seems, how the historians are suggesting each event be portrayed.

I also neglected to point out that The Conspirator is this company's first film, but two more are described as being in development.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Tue May 10th, 2011, 7:54 pm

I saw this film and really enjoyed it. I also was curious about the company so thanks for the information. I live in a town steeped in Civil War history. There are two major historical sites just minutes from my house and so I just a little sick of the Civil War stuff, but this movie was great. The sets and costumes were right on track. It would be great to see more films produced with the priority of displaying real events properly.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue May 10th, 2011, 11:32 pm

There's a biography about Mary Surratt titled The Assassin's Accomplice by Kate Larson, published in 2008.
For those who've been in DC's Chinatown neighborhood, the Wok 'n Roll Restaurant was once her boarding house.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed May 11th, 2011, 12:55 am

I'm quite taken with the idea, so might actually go see this. Alisha, I live in a similar area, and the WRITERS around here get so obsessive about writing about where we live I actually went to the extent of putting a disclaimer to Southern Novelist-osity in my bio. That said, sometimes American history does get done right (I was completely entertained and interested in "John Adams" when I saw it), and a well done production goes a very long way with me to get me on board.

Rowan, another thank-you for providing this info. I confess, I'm intrigued. Wonder how long they'll manage to strive for this integrity ...
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Unto us a son is Given" by Donna Leon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 11th, 2011, 8:51 am

That company sounds wonderful, wonder if they'll set up a similar branch here in the UK?
Currently reading: "Unto us a son is Given" by Donna Leon

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Wed May 11th, 2011, 1:26 pm

[quote=""DianeL""]Wonder how long they'll manage to strive for this integrity ...[/quote]

I got the impression from elsewhere (not their site) that this production company is a side gig for the founder at least. If he/they have money coming in from elsewhere, they can take their time with each production and do it justice, unlike most production companies who are only in it for the money.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”