Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The day you learned to read

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sun September 21st, 2008, 11:29 am

Because of the hospital thing I started school earlier than my peers so I didnt miss out too much. I went into the reception class twice! It worked as I was able to keep up in my proper reception year.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Sun September 21st, 2008, 8:53 pm

I don't remember not being able to read. I'm not sure quite when I learned, but my mom says somewhere around 3 or 4. It was apparently a collaborative teaching effort between my mom and Sesame Street, helped along by the fact that I really, really wanted to learn.

It did cause me a bit of trouble when I started school. In first grade, I was reading Nancy Drew and books like that, but the elementary school library was divided by grade level. I wasn't allowed to check out the books I wanted to read until my mom called up the principal.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 1:13 pm

I started reading beginner reader books in first grade (and I was the youngest person in my class, being one of those September kids near the cutoff, so I was 5/6 that school year).

My reading was fairly sporadic in elementary school, and living in a small town, the selection I had to choose from was very modest compared to today's standards. I read chapters books (mostly 100 pages or less) in 3rd/4th grade, but a lot of the books that I see parents brag about their kids reading as 1st or 2nd graders (such as "A Wrinkle in Time", "The Hobbit", etc.), I didn't read until 5th or 6th grade, which was considered fairly normal back in my day. I guess I feel prickly about this subject, because my kids are still young and they're learning to read around the same time I did, but if you go to any parenting site, you're made to feel like your kid is behind if he/she isn't reading Harry Potter by 2nd or 3rd grade. I know some kids learn young (by 3 or 4 let's say), but the normal (average) age that kids begin to read is really a year or two older than that.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 1:18 pm

Difficult to say the exact day. I could read 1st grade books by the age of 4 thanks to my parents.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 1:27 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""] I guess I feel prickly about this subject, because my kids are still young and they're learning to read around the same time I did, but if you go to any parenting site, you're made to feel like your kid is behind if he/she isn't reading Harry Potter by 2nd or 3rd grade. I know some kids learn young (by 3 or 4 let's say), but the normal (average) age that kids begin to read is really a year or two older than that.[/quote]

Well, I'm not surprised - our curriculum has been pushed down so far that Kindergartners are now expected to do 2nd grade work. Because kids generally learn to read at 6 or 7 (all of us early ones are the exceptions I think) kids who can't read in kindergarten are left behind, made to feel like failures, and just lead to more of an educational devide. And I also don't believe some of these parents who say there kid is reading Harry Potter that early; maybe the kid can 'read' it, but are they understanding the book? I know it wouldn't have been a book I would have been interested in at that age, much less comprehended.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed September 24th, 2008, 11:16 am

[quote=""Misfit""]...mom told them to pound sand[/quote]

I hadn't heard that expression before! I guessed the meaning but had to look it up to be sure....

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed September 24th, 2008, 11:19 am

I don't remember not being able to read either. I think I was partly taught at home pre-school as I have a vague memory of at least knowing the alphabet when we were taught it. I do recall my father teaching me to read Hebrew, but not English, though I'm pretty sure he did...

Anyway, I know I read early (and late into the night, which frequently got me into trouble, but I'm sure that's not unusual here).

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed September 24th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Oh, I remember trying to read under the bedclothes with a torch!!! :D My daughter just switches her light on. LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed September 24th, 2008, 10:39 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""] do recall my father teaching me to read Hebrew, but not English, though I'm pretty sure he did....[/quote]

I went to a kindergarten sponsored by our synagogue, and vividly remember the teacher teaching us the Hebrew alphabet. I must have learned the English (I was close to reading by that time anyway) but I don't remember it as well as the other.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 25th, 2008, 12:17 am

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I hadn't heard that expression before! I guessed the meaning but had to look it up to be sure....[/quote]

OK, now you have to tell us how you Brits would have said the same thing. :p :)

Return to “Chat”