Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Paris

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun May 8th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Just asked on Twitter and got this back straight away from Oli Munson, one of the literary agents at Blake Friedmann.

We stayed at Hotel Moris on Rene Boulanger last month. Nothing fancy but reasonably priced and clean rooms.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun May 8th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Sounds awful, Wendy. My husband went to Amsterdam for a weekend away with some friends. One evening he decided to go back to his hotel and got in a taxi. Unfortunately the taxi wasn't a proper taxi and it took him down some dark alley. He was threatened with knives and really thought his time was up as he didn't actually have much money on him. Anyway they stole his watch and whatever money he had on him and then left him. He came away thinking he was quite lucky to be alive. Funnily enough, he has no wish to go to Amsterdam again! He didn't tell me about it until a couple of years after!!!!!

I can remember going to Rome on a day trip and we were warned about pick pockets. We ended up with our bags slung crossways across our shoulders under our coats!

I also remember being on the metro in Paris and there was a pick pocket. He was trying to remove my sil's mobile phone from her pocket. Luckily my husband saw him and said out loud 'Beware everyone, there is a pick pocket on this train!'. The pick pocket quickly got off at the next stop.

You do have to be careful anywhere you go - there are always opportunists. Scary world out there.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun May 8th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Another from Twitter:
"I recently stayed in the New Orient Hotel in Paris. Great location, good value, yummy breakfast and twin room had a balcony!"
Les proz e les vassals

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun May 8th, 2011, 8:55 pm

I like the Hotel Britannique and it's very central, but it's not really a budget hotel, more mid-range.

I've known pickpockets on the Metro work in pairs, one of them distracting you with a question about directions or whatever. I always hold tight onto my bag at all times just as I do in London. Someone else I know had his laptop stolen in Brussels when someone told him there was something on his coat and he put the laptop bag down to check it. Of course there was a stain there - something squirted on by the guy who spoke to him or an accomplice, and as soon he put the bag down, they were off with it.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun May 8th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Rome was the only place we've been where we got pockets picked. But remmember, not to negate what hell your son went through, one should be careful wheree ver you go; things like this happen everywhere in one way or another A few rules: stick to busy areas, be aware of your surroundings, keep valuables at home, and don't be obvious about where your money is or how much you have. Oh, and trust your gut; its usually right.
Last edited by Ash on Sun May 8th, 2011, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon May 9th, 2011, 3:08 am

[quote=""EC2""]Are you going to see the Eleanor vase in the Louvre?
Notre Dame?
Versailles?
[/quote]

Yes, yes and yes! All those places are on our list of things to do. We're also thinking about trying to find a day trip/tour we can take.

Thanks for the hotel recomendations.

Miss Moppet - thanks for that one as well. I probably equate "afforadable' more with mid range than budget. I just don't want to pay $500 a night!!

Wendy - That is so horrible. I can't even imagine what that flight to Rome must have been like for you.

And believe me - the girl is going to be getting some major lectures about safety and watching out for these kinds of things. Thanks for all of the tips everyone (hotels and safety!)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon May 9th, 2011, 9:57 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]
Miss Moppet - thanks for that one as well. I probably equate "afforadable' more with mid range than budget. I just don't want to pay $500 a night!!

[/quote]

I don't know what's what, but just adding for extra info: I would think knowing Oli the agent of my first suggestion, he would be thinking along the same lines as you. He's half-American and his wife is American, so in cultural terms they're probably singing from a similar hymn sheet.
Les proz e les vassals

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon May 9th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Wendy, how awful. Glad it didn't turn out any worse for him though!

We don't travel very often but one of the advantages of traveling with my husband when we do is that he is a big guy and can be intimidating when he so desires.

I've only been to Paris once, ten years ago with my husband. I don't remember where we stayed. I just remember it was within walking distance of a train station and not very far from the Opera. I did find this site with maps of Paris and train stations if you find that helpful. I was hoping it would jog my memory, but I still don't remember where we stayed. To heck with culture... I'd go back just for the street crepes! :D

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:35 pm

EC - funny!! The definition of "affordable" probably varies from country to country and definately from person to person. I probably would have been better off saying a 3 starish hotel. I don't mind paying for a few amenities (an elevator so I don't have to lug my bags up 5 or 6 flights of stairs) and air conditioning might be nice. I checked out the few Hiltons in town, but at $500 per night, I need to find something more "affordable".

Ludmilla - crepes - yummy! For Mother's Day my daughter took me to a little place here in Denver called Crepes-n-Crepes. She loves crepes so we'll have to see how authentic the ones here were.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue May 10th, 2011, 8:47 am

I've stayed in 3* hotels in Paris each time I've been and they've all been fine; all been slightly different, one for example had a big bedroom and massive bathroom, whereas in another one, the bedroom was so small you could barely squeeze between the bed and the wall/wardrobe! But they were all good for a base ie to sleep in and have breakfast in, and well-positioned, so I think you should be OK with a reasonable 3 star.
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon

Return to “Travel”