Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Know anything about Creirwy?

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Know anything about Creirwy?

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed May 4th, 2011, 3:57 am

Hi folks! I can't seem to find much info on Creirwy, the daughter of the Welsh goddess named Ceridwen. I know Creirwy seduced one of Arthur's pals -- Garwy Hir -- but other than that I can't find much. Can anyone help me?

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Wed May 4th, 2011, 3:04 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]Hi folks! I can't seem to find much info on Creirwy, the daughter of the Welsh goddess named Ceridwen. I know Creirwy seduced one of Arthur's pals -- Garwy Hir -- but other than that I can't find much. Can anyone help me?[/quote]

You could try asking Kathryn Gibson of Garth Celyn (Palace of Llywelyn Fawr) at the following address. Not much she doesn't know about Welsh history! She's also on Face Book.:

http://www.garthcelyn.com/index.html

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed May 4th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Thanks, Ken. I appreciate the help.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu May 5th, 2011, 2:54 am

My impression is that Creirwy only gets quite brief mention in the Welsh mythic cycles.

"Creirwy is known from the Ystoria Taliesyn (the tale of Taliesyn) where she is the daughter of Tegid Foel and Cerridwen. She is described as the fairest maiden in the entire world.

Creirwy's name may be derived from the Cymric word creider meaning 'purity' whereas rhwy is an old term for 'purity' so that her name could mean 'The Purest'.

A single line in the ode of Hywel ab Einion to Myfanwy of Dinas Brên alludes to Creirwy being the mistress of the renowned lover Garwy Hir. Though other poems by the gogynfeirdd (ancient bards) such as Madog Benfras, Tudur Aled and Einion Offeriad refer to Creirwy as a figure of proverbial beauty."

Thw Welsh poetic tradition is sometimes contradictory- I believe that elsewhere Creirwy is named as Garwy Hir's daughter, and a mistress of Arthur!
Last edited by annis on Thu May 5th, 2011, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Fri May 6th, 2011, 2:27 am

Annis, yes, I noticed that contradictory storytelling--nevertheless, I love this Welsh mythology. Cool stuff. This is one of those times when I just need a little info for my WIP but the research is so fun that I keep shooting off into hours of just fun. I guess that's okay...I have no real deadline right now. Thanks for the name information. I had not read that exact translation before.

Return to “Questions and Research”