Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? May 2011

Retired Threads
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat May 14th, 2011, 2:12 am

I've finished two books:
"The Elements of Murder: A History of Poison" by John Emsley (398pgs, 2005)*. A good book, especially when it stuck to the the murder by poison stuff, but when it was more about the compounds it got a little boring.

"The Body of the Queen: Gender and Rule in the Courtly World, 1500 - 2000" ed. Regina Schulte (343pgs, 2006)*. A book of essays about various queens and one about Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany (?!, that really didn't make since why exactly that was included.)

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sat May 14th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Light on Lucrezia by Plaidy (reissue)

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Sat May 14th, 2011, 9:05 pm

I'm reading Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain by Portia de Rossi. I don't usually read books by celebrities but I'm liking this.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun May 15th, 2011, 12:10 am

Nonfiction: The Perfect Summer: England 1911: Just Before the Storm, by Juliet Nicolson. Granddaughter of Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicolson, so there's a lot of "Vita and Harold this and that," but it's mostly good.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun May 15th, 2011, 2:07 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]
"The Body of the Queen: Gender and Rule in the Courtly World, 1500 - 2000" ed. Regina Schulte (343pgs, 2006)*. A book of essays about various queens and one about Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany (?!, that really didn't make since why exactly that was included.)

SM[/quote]

I forgot to mention that in the last essay about the portrayal of Quentin Crisp as Elizabeth I in the movie "Orlando", the writer discussed the TV movie of his biography "The Naked Civil Servant", where he was portrayed by John Hurt, except the writer kept calling John William Hurt, a different actor altogether! I consider that extremely shoddy writing!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun May 15th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Now reading Theodora, by Stella Duffy.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun May 15th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Finished Goethe's Faust and Ben Kane's The Forgotten Legion and started Burning Brightly by Tracy Chevalier and Nickle and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 15th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Just finished Whispers in the Sand by Barbara Erskine. Not terrible, but not her best with a heroine you just want to strangle for having no damn common sense whatsoever.

Going to work on Cain's Daughters by Doris Shannon next. US Civil War.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

JessMountifield
Scribbler

Post by JessMountifield » Sun May 15th, 2011, 4:15 pm

I'm currently reading Sense and Sensibility for about the third time. I always feel so sorry for Colonel Brandon. I'd have snapped him up in no time. Especially if he looked anything like Alan Rickman did when he acted as him for one of the films.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun May 15th, 2011, 5:35 pm

[quote=""JessMountifield""]I'm currently reading Sense and Sensibility for about the third time. I always feel so sorry for Colonel Brandon. I'd have snapped him up in no time. Especially if he looked anything like Alan Rickman did when he acted as him for one of the films.[/quote]

Oh I hear that! Alan is very handsome as Brandon!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Archives”