Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? May 2011

Retired Threads
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:37 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]
Reading a few research books for a possible new project, slowly working my way through Elizabeth I by George.

[/quote]

I'm slowly making my through it as well. I wasn't too crazy about it at first - too many first person POV traps - but, it's gotten better. Still, I don't really feel compelled to pick it up most of the time.
Last edited by Tanzanite on Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue May 10th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Slowly making my way through Sandra Gulland's Mistress of the Sun. I've been super tired before bed (which is when I read) so I only read about 4-5 pages at a time. :rolleyes:
Brenna

David Ross Erickson
Scribbler

Post by David Ross Erickson » Tue May 10th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Currently reading George Mann's Affinity Bridge. It's a steampunk novel so it takes place in an alternate 1901 London, with airships, zombies and automatons. Light, breezy fare.

Still working on Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver but finding it tough going. At times it feels like trying to read Ulysses or something.

Recently read a biography of Edgar A. Poe, A Mournful and Never-Ending Remembrance. Poe is probably the most unlikeable guy I like.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue May 10th, 2011, 1:28 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]I've been super tired before bed (which is when I read) so I only read about 4-5 pages at a time. :rolleyes: [/quote]

I get like that sometimes. Looking at a computer all day at work gives me eye strain and when I try to read at night my eyes give out. Even when compelled to keep on reading I quickly reach a point where my eyes literally will not stay open.

I'm currently reading The Silent Land by Graham Joyce. It's reminiscent of a Twilight Zone episode. A married couple on a ski vacation are caught in an avalanche. After they dig themselves out they find their resort deserted, are unable to contact anyone, and all paths to civilization lead back to their resort. They begin to wonder if they are dead.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed May 11th, 2011, 2:21 am

I've finished "Napoleon's Hemorrhoids and Other Small Events That Changed History" by Phil Mason (244pgs, 2010). A good, interesting and quick read, though it does concentrate a lot on stuff in the UK and people I've never heard of (ie. sports and TV people that we don't know of in the US).

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Wed May 11th, 2011, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed May 11th, 2011, 8:11 am

The Carthaginian, a 1963 novel by Ronald Bassett in the macho historical adventure tradition. Fast-paced, plenty of action and not too old-fashioned in style. It's the story of Diaz, a Carthaginian hostage who becomes a galley slave, leads a slave mutiny and then takes the crew of escaped slaves over the desert to join the Battle of Carthage in 149 BC.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 11th, 2011, 8:40 am

I've just started "Pale as the Dead" by Fiona Mountain, a modern story but with an interest in the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, especially Lizzie Siddal; the PRB is one of my current obsessions so looking forward to reading this one, think it might be a dual time-frame sort of book.

Edited to say that the main character is a genealogist, and whilst researching the background of a missing girl, who was using the name Marshall, who should pop up but our old friends John and William! I almost cheered, but didn't as I was on a busy train at the time....
Last edited by Madeleine on Wed May 11th, 2011, 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed May 11th, 2011, 8:59 am

About a third of the way into George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones. I'd been meaning to read this series for years but, with the TV adaptation of this first book now being shown, I thought I'd read it and then watch the show.
So far, it's a decent fantasy novel (though with very little of the supernatural, at least so far) and I'm enjoying it, but I'm not sure yet if it's that much different from stuff I've read before.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed May 11th, 2011, 9:41 am

Posted by Madeline
I've just started "Pale as the Dead" by Fiona Mountain, a modern story but with an interest in the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, especially Lizzie Siddal; the PRB is one of my current obsessions so looking forward to reading this one, think it might be a dual time-frame sort of book.
I'd be interested to know what you think of it. I enjoyed Fiona Mountain's Lady of the Butterflies. I tried Elizabeth Hickey's PRB novel Wayward Muse a year so or so back, but found it rather disappointing - one of those books which has potential but lacks the vital spark.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 11th, 2011, 11:04 am

I'm enjoying it so far, it's easy to read.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

Return to “Archives”