Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Royal Wedding: Talkback thread.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat April 30th, 2011, 9:58 am

I was also surprised by the color of Pippa's dress - but if Kate wasn't offended by it, if she maybe even wanted it that way, why should anyone else be offended by it? Wearing white to someone else's wedding is considered a slight to the bride - so if the bride doesn't mind, who cares? My Nan wore white to her only daughter's wedding - but my aunt was okay with it. I would never call my Nan tacky for it!

I agree, some of the hats were pretty ridiculous. I even commented to my husband "I could never be royal... I could never wear those ridiculous hats."

Did anyone else hold their breath when the ring almost didn't go on Kate's finger?! I think I was holding my breath while my husband went "Noooo!" and then we both said "Phew" when it finally went on.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat April 30th, 2011, 10:21 am

[quote=""annis""]Does Princess Bea take the silly hat prize?

Image[/quote]

That hat was terrible and didn't do anything for her, I must admit! There seemed to be a lot of these sorts of hats - where they sit at the front of the head. Victoria Beckham and Tara Palmer Tomkinson were wearing this type, too, but I have to say they looked better on them!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Sat April 30th, 2011, 10:23 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Ok it's Tara Palmer Tomkinson, I don't know who she is.

SM[/quote]

I don't know if you recognise the names of the author Santa Montefiore or historian author Simon Sebag Montefiore - Tara Palmer Tomkinson is Santa's sister and Simons sister-in-law.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Sat April 30th, 2011, 11:03 am

[quote=""Mythica""]I was also surprised by the color of Pippa's dress - but if Kate wasn't offended by it, if she maybe even wanted it that way, why should anyone else be offended by it? Wearing white to someone else's wedding is considered a slight to the bride - so if the bride doesn't mind, who cares? My Nan wore white to her only daughter's wedding - but my aunt was okay with it. I would never call my Nan tacky for it!.[/quote]

Not that I know anything about fashion but I would guess that the designer (and Catherine) looked upon the Maid of Honour's dress as being part of the overall 'tableau' of the two dresses together.

I think this picture (No. 9 or 10 in the series?)illustrates that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-13231282

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sat April 30th, 2011, 11:18 am

I thought all the dresses were beautiful - all the buttons down the back of Pippa's dress were lovely. The little bridesmaids were very sweet and the flower garland head-dresses were just gorgeously simple.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat April 30th, 2011, 11:35 am

[quote=""Ken""]Not that I know anything about fashion but I would guess that the designer (and Catherine) looked upon the Maid of Honour's dress as being part of the overall 'tableau' of the two dresses together.
I think this picture (No. 9 or 10 in the series?)illustrates that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-13231282[/quote]

I think you're right Ken.

Back to the silly hats; Victoria Beckham looked like she was wearing a giant Liquorice Allsort!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sat April 30th, 2011, 11:38 am

Yes, I don't think I like this trend in fashion! But at least VB can wear it with a little more finesse than Beatrice! Beatrice just looked as if she was auditioning for a vampire film. :p

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat April 30th, 2011, 11:41 am

And VB had her usual thunderous expression!

Re the hair issue, Diana had lovely thick hair, and the Queen still has a reasonably head of hair too, so I think the thinness gene looks like it's more on the male side. Charles started thinning quite young too.

The papers today are calling the tiara a "halo" tiara, personally it's a tiara, and a nice understated one too.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sat April 30th, 2011, 12:30 pm

It is the day after the wedding and I am still watching "wedding" stuff. I thought Catherine's second dress was just as beautiful. I think she will certainly end up being a fashion icon just like her mother-in-law was.
Brenna

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat April 30th, 2011, 2:16 pm

It's weird but I 'saw' Kate's wedding dress several months ago around the time of the engagement. I was asked by a national UK newspaper to write a short story involving the royal wedding and history. As I sat down at the PC to ponder, I got a mind's eye vision of a tightly fitting white lace sleeve and then it gradually panned out to a full length 'vision' of Kate in that wedding dress and veil. I was astonished when I saw it yesterday!

I thought the wedding dress was just gorgeous and that Kate's sister looked truly beautiful, stunning and elegant in her maid of honour dress. It was a lovely ceremony and all so well managed.
Princess Beartrice's hat... definitely came from the school of Lady Gaga, and with the shot with the wide eyes, made her look like an out-take from Bad Romance video!
The couple are going to live on the Isle of Anglesey, which might be very good news for my brother. His in-laws, recently deceased, lived there and he has their home to put on the market!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Chat”