Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where are you traveling to next?

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue May 10th, 2011, 5:24 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Depends on your interests, but a few show stoppers for me were the Metropolitan Museum, Ellis Island, The Cloisters, St Johns, Times Square (go there during the day,then go at night), a show on Broadway, Central Park .....and those are just off the top of my head. If I looked at my notes, I'd come up with lots more.[/quote]

Ash-thanks! We are going to Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, Teddy Roosevelt's birthplace, and going on Broadway to see Jersey Boys. I really want to go to Cloisters, but they say on the website that it is an hour from the Met, and I don't know if I want to make the treck. Is St. Johns a church?
Brenna

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue May 10th, 2011, 10:50 pm

You can easily make a day of it at the Met. The price of the Cloisters is included in your ticket to the Met as well. The restaurants in the Met are good as well. You can get to the Cloisters fairly easily by cab, and I do suggest that you use one while you're there, unless your husband is a big imposing bloke. In any case, this is one of the best time to see the Cloisters.

As to restaurants, that really depends on where you are staying in the City. Les Halles, either of them, is one of my favourites.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue May 10th, 2011, 11:24 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Ash-thanks! We are going to Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, Teddy Roosevelt's birthplace, and going on Broadway to see Jersey Boys. I really want to go to Cloisters, but they say on the website that it is an hour from the Met, and I don't know if I want to make the treck. Is St. Johns a church?[/quote]

The Jersey Boys is soooooooooooooooooo good. I don't want to say more to give it away, but the biggest *wow* moment for us was when they put the audience behind the stage. You'll know what I mean when you get there.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed May 11th, 2011, 12:52 am

Brenna, their is a train (A maybe?) that parallels Park Ave and takes you all the way up to St Johns and the Cloisters. Really an easy ride, and both can be done in one day. (not sure why you'd want to take a cab, that would be rather expensive. My DH and I have traveled that subway many times to visit a friend who lives on 110 ave and have never encountered a problem)

St John The Devine is an incredible work of art, a cathedral started several in 1892, with the idea of using ancient methods to build, as much as possible. Much of the work is done by the volunteers in the Heights area. Its a work in progress still, but well worth visiting for whats there already (the 9/11 memorial that was there when I visited is very moving)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_ ... ,_New_York
Last edited by Ash on Wed May 11th, 2011, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed May 11th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Misfit-I am super excited for Jersey Boys!! It is my birthday present from my hubby (whenever I see DH on here I always think designated hitter-comes from having ESPN constantly!).

We are staying on the upper west side and when we looked at the subway system last night, we discovered that Cloisters is only a 20-30 min subway ride away. If we have time, I think we are going to make the trek.

We will likely use a taxi to and from the show just because I'll be in heels and a pretty dress for the show :D . Otherwise we will walk or take the subway.

As far as food, I want to experience the "real" NY. We are stopping by Chinatown on our way back from TR's birthplace. Otherwise, I want a deli sandwich, pizza, etc. There will likely be a hotdog from the street in there as well. But we are open to all suggestions :-)
Brenna

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu May 12th, 2011, 3:45 am

Well, if you want a deli experience with a taste of Hollywood, go to Katz's and sit in the booth where Meg Ryan faked it for Billy Crystal (When Harry Met Sally) Its $50 for the priveledge, so you decide if its worth it. I think its funny that they do that. Foods not bad, but expensive for a deli. There's a better one on the Westside, with great bagels called Zabar's, and downtown, 2nd Ave Deli is good food for a decent price.

As far as hotdog stands, you gotta do Nathan's. Period.

Darn it, all this talk re NYC is making me want to change my plans for this summer...

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri May 13th, 2011, 5:51 am

[quote=""Ash""]Well, if you want a deli experience with a taste of Hollywood, go to Katz's and sit in the booth where Meg Ryan faked it for Billy Crystal (When Harry Met Sally) Its $50 for the priveledge, so you decide if its worth it. I think its funny that they do that. Foods not bad, but expensive for a deli. There's a better one on the Westside, with great bagels called Zabar's, and downtown, 2nd Ave Deli is good food for a decent price.
[/quote]

Ah, the Katz's vs. 2nd Ave Deli debate! It's the pastrami that you want, it is wonderful. Zabars tends to be crowded, but has a tremendous amount of goodies available. Sarabeths is where you want to go for a break, either coffee or tea and something sweet. West 42nd isn't bad if you are looking for a kosher deli, the one on the second floor above the diamond exchange is simply the best of the dairy deli's in the City. Oy, I'm starting to get hungry now!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat May 14th, 2011, 6:05 am

Must do a New York travel page, too.

My Travel by Novel: New Orleans page is finally constructed. Lots of novels set in New Orleans! I was surprised to find so many classic novels by nineteenth-century New Orleans writers. I've also included a selection of contemporary novels, because it just seemed appropriate to offer some reading about New Orleans pre-Katrina and post-Katrina.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat May 14th, 2011, 8:11 am

I'm off to Cumbria this morning for a week - giving a talk at Cartmel Priory and taking the opportunity to have a break for the rest of the week. I'm sure I've read Lake District novels, but my mind's a blank at the moment. The poet Wordsworth made it very popular, and Beatrix Potter lived there.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Tidelands" by Philippa Gregory
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat May 14th, 2011, 11:21 am

Have a fab time in the Lake District, it's such a lovely area. Hope your talk goes well.

I'm off to John Constable country tomorrow - of The Haywain fame - hoping to plan a walk for my walking group to do later in the summer. Fingers crossed we don't get lost!
Currently reading: "Tidelands" by Philippa Gregory

Return to “Travel”