Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do you keep your books?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon April 25th, 2011, 9:59 am

[quote=""Veronica""]This might have already been discussed but I couldn't see it anywhere.
Most people on this forum seem to buy a lot of books ( I thought I was bad until I met you guys! ;) ) which make me wonder following;

1) How many books do you estimate to own?

2) Do you keep all the books you buy? (Cause surely we would all run out of space if we did?)[/quote]

That's one of the main reasons I switched to ebooks - I don't have the space for all the books I read! In the past, I would usually pass most novels along to my friends and family without expecting them back and only keep my favorites... but then I moved to England and none of my friends/in-laws here read the genres I like. So the books quickly started piling up - donating novels was a possibility since I don't reread them but it's a pain and I'd gotten into non-fiction history books which I wanted to keep for reference purposes (not that I'm a writer or academic but just for my own personal knowledge). Ebooks became an ideal solution for keeping hundreds, even thousands of books without taking up space.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 25th, 2011, 11:34 am

Oh dear, I'd be scared to do them individually - maybe I will do a listing on Library thing one day! - but at a guess I'd say about a thousand.....

I rarely give books away unless I loathe them - take a bow Mr Whicher - although lately I have been trying to prune them a bit, so for example any easy-to-read thrillers go once I've read them, either to a charity shop or friends who sell books for their charity. I've also decided to put out a few books that I haven't read but have gone off the author's style; and they may include James Patterson's women's murder club books - I'll read one more, and if I don't like that then the others will go to new homes unread. But the majority of them will have a home, especially series of books, and books I love, and sometimes just because they've got a gorgeous cover!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon April 25th, 2011, 4:52 pm

I kept every book I bought until I moved into Manhattan. With space at a premium, I kept only my research books and the novels I loved. For 16 years, the local library and Salvation Army got regular donations. Now I live in a big old rambling Victorian, but still have the giveaway habit; mostly to family, friends, Bookcrossing and charity donations. I estimate I have about a thousand books in the house at any one time (and my daughter and husband another 300-500) but the fiction "churns" and moves on.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon April 25th, 2011, 5:01 pm

I simply don't have space for all the books I buy and so a lot of fiction eventually goes to a charity shop. I rarely give away non-fiction any more having pruned the ones I had to have because of college courses a long time ago. And I can't see the point of putting books in the attic.

I am in the process of cataloguing mine now just so I can find a book when I want it. Unfortunately, alphabetical by author doesn't work for me because my bookcases are differing sizes and some won't fit the bigger books.

Hence, I am afraid I am a very willing accepter of the electronc age. Mind you I now have so many gbytes of pdfs and ePub books, I had to buy a 1-tb external storage drive -- thank heavens they are going quite cheaply now.

Bad luck for the charity shops though as I really don't think I will be donating so much in future. However, I am unlikely to stop buying books from them.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Mon April 25th, 2011, 6:36 pm

I'm not sure how many I have, and I keep probably 90% of what I acquire. I have something like 8 full height bookcases and several half. I just added more bookshelves in Feb, but I'm already out of space again. I need to do a complete re-organize, re-evaluate, and discard. But generally, I keep non-fiction and any fiction that I would rate at 3 or above on a scale of 5. (I am a re-reader, although not nearly so much as I used to be.) Since joining HF board here and at PBS, almost everything I read now fits the bill for a keeper. :) The one exception is HR. I turn to them for bubble gum reads whem I'm stressed, but only about a dozen or so have made my keeper shelves.
Last edited by Sharz on Mon April 25th, 2011, 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon April 25th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Since joining HF board here and at PBS, almost everything I read now fits the bill for a keeper.
That is so cool!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue April 26th, 2011, 12:13 am

I used to keep all, but then I married someone else with books, and well, all the bookshelves he could build couldn't keep up. So I trade my books in for credit, usually books I couldn't finish or not that wild about. About once a year I go through all my shelves; if there are books that I barely remember what it was about, and there is no other reason to keep it (sentimental, reminds me of a time/place that I read it), it goes. I also go through my TBR shelves. If I've tried a book three times with no luck, its gone. I should dump the books that have been on the TBR shelf for more than a year, but I can't bear to - there's usually a very good reason I bought those books (often on someones rec) that I always think I'll be missing out if I let it go.

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Tue April 26th, 2011, 1:40 am

I sometimes find it hard to justify keeping things that only end up collecting dust. :p However I do enjoy my books so why not keep them?
I had a brief count of my books and I only have around 500. I began reading again, after years of break, in 2008. So the chance is that I will have more books in the years to come!
I intend to keep my books as I am very selective when I buy them. I only buy books that I know I will read and in case of second hand books they need to be in good condition, otherwise I wont buy them. So in a way I clean out my bookcase (and boxes as I need to buy more bookcases.)
I might add that I don't re-read any books, there is simply too many books on the market to have time for that. :)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Tue April 26th, 2011, 11:02 am

I don't think I'd dare count up my books, it'd give my boyfriend more ammunition to nag me everytime I buy more :D Luckily, he's into motorbikes and mechanical things which don't live in the house, so all the books apart from one shelf are mine. I'd guess I have roughly 1500-2000 books, the majority of which are in my loft conversion which I'm going to make into a library/study. I do try and have a cull every so often, I'll give books away that I couldn't get into to the charity shop :) I do love books!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 26th, 2011, 11:17 am

I used to keep 2 lists of books - one was "to buy", the other was "to be read", but of course as I bought books and added them to the tbr list it meant a lot of doubling up - this was all done in a notebook rather than a spreadsheet or other doc where I could just have "moved" a title from one list to the other, so I merged them into one list, but it was becoming so long that I gave up on it after a while! I'm now sort of tempted to join Library Thing, but also a bit scared. Do I really want to list them all, will I remember to add new ones or amend the list ie when I've read a book, or am I on enough book forums already?! It does sound like fun though, sort of.

Return to “General Discussion”