Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Publishers limit shelf life of ebooks

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon April 25th, 2011, 4:50 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]I am curious as to how the library loan on ebooks is going to effect authors, publishers, and agents. I mean why in the world would I buy an ebook or a "real" book if I can simply log on and borrow it anytime. I don't have to visit the library, right? This seems financially dangerous for the authors in this world. I want those fantastic artists to keep on keeping on! Educate me...[/quote]

I have only just discovered that this facility is available from my local and library and have also just discovered how long the waiting lists are for some of the books on it. At least the ones I do borrow I can return justly as instantly as I borrow. But I would probably give up waiting and buy it. After all, I can get it instantly from Amazon or Waterstones (who are now selling a Sony ebook reader with 3G and instant access to their books).
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu May 5th, 2011, 2:05 am

[quote=""Divia""]Dislike! 26 checkouts seems a little low for a public library.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/busin ... .html?_r=1[/quote]

Just exactly what I thought. I would have thought 75 or even 100 would be nearer the mark. My subscription library has a lot of Victorian and early 20th century stock which is still circulating, much of it in its original binding.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu May 5th, 2011, 1:09 pm

I posted this demonstration video by librarians in the Youtube thread a while ago, but I think it bears repeating here.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu May 5th, 2011, 6:43 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I posted this demonstration video by librarians in the Youtube thread a while ago, but I think it bears repeating here.[/quote]

Thanks Ludmilla, that's very enlightening.

There's an online petition against limited checkouts here.

Return to “Chat”