Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

More royal wedding swag...

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed April 27th, 2011, 2:22 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Umm, he's not King yet so he can't abdicate! ;)

[/quote] I'm pretty sure Tina Brown meant after the current queen's death. :)

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed April 27th, 2011, 2:41 pm

This may be a bit off topic, but if I'm primarily interested in views of the architecture in and around the royal wedding, what channel should I set my DVR for? (forgive my grammar...haven't finished coffee yet)

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed April 27th, 2011, 3:34 pm

[quote=""Ken""]Ok! So are there any Americans left in America? It seems to me from watching the BBC today, that most Americans are over here for the wedding!

If you're part of the minority that is not over here, what are you going to be doing on Friday? Any TV parties planned?

Also, and given, as you remember that you kicked us out of America a few years ago, why are you so interested in this little marriage in the Windsor family!!! :confused: :p :rolleyes: [/quote]

I would be paying next to no attention (meaning aware, but not following the ubiquitous coverage), except my TV producer hubby is doing a wedding special for WE network. He keeps dragging home wedding swag (cups, napkins, condoms) to show me before he whisks it back to work. Here's how serious they're taking it: the host is a gay guy fashion blogger who will be wearing a replica of Diana's wedding dress! Yesterday, coverage invaded my favorite local NPR (National Public Radio) national affairs radio show. They were speculating about what titles Kate will have. On the other hand, it was more interesting than the ridiculous "birther" debate that is the headlines today!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed April 27th, 2011, 8:17 pm

For those interested in a not-too-tacky bit of Royal Wedding frenzy, I found this in my local TJ Maxx shop, filled with tea that actually looks to taste good:

On the downside, there are some truly awful things out there, such as royal commemorative condoms, for gosh sake. Now that's tacky.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu April 28th, 2011, 5:25 pm

A Facebook friend of mine had a Royal Wedding Dunkin' Donut today. Here's a picture.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/1 ... ired_foods

Lady Iva Matilda-Ironsides.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Thu April 28th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Ok! So it's official (according to the BBC). There are umpteen million American tourists camped on the route from Westminster Abbey and along the Mall up to Buckingham Palace. There's little room for the average Brit to witness the occasion from the best vantage points! Is this reverse colonialisation??

That aside, I have to say that I'm looking forward to the day! I love these great historical occasions! I have recently been writing about the marriage of the Lord Edward to Eleanor of Castile in 1254 with much pomp and ceremony and, here we have it in our own time! Yes! :cool:

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu April 28th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Which paper had the headlne

Thanks a billion, William?

It seems as if they got it right.

My only beef is that all the libraries are shut.

I think YouTube are showing it live. I didn't know they did that sort of thing.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu April 28th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Yahoo! is showing it live too, SGM.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu April 28th, 2011, 8:03 pm

[quote=""Ken""]Ok! So it's official (according to the BBC). There are umpteen million American tourists camped on the route from Westminster Abbey and along the Mall up to Buckingham Palace. There's little room for the average Brit to witness the occasion from the best vantage points! Is this reverse colonialisation??

[/quote] Naw -- they're just there to drink up all the tea, eat up all the scones (plus all the jam and clotted cream) and then come back home. :)

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Thu April 28th, 2011, 10:51 pm

As my wife has ordered me out of the house during the great occasion tomorrow,does anyone know of a republican street party I can go to?
Listening to an Irish radio chat show a few days ago, I was surprised (well not really) at the no of hotel rooms with large flat screens being reserved for "ladies only" royal wedding parties ... white outfits de rigueur.
Last edited by BrianPK on Thu April 28th, 2011, 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Chat”