Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 1st, 2011, 8:56 am

I wouldn't think you'd need the map Vanessa -what I found more helpful when I read the book were the family lists at the back. Although as you're watching the TV series, that should help clarify things too. And you get those wonderful maps at the beginning, which I found helped as well. Notice that they change them each week - brilliant!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri July 1st, 2011, 1:28 pm

I was thinking I could probably print maps and character lists off the internet. That would solve the problem.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon July 4th, 2011, 7:44 pm

The soundtrack for the series is now available from what I saw on Amazon.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue July 5th, 2011, 12:07 am

Vanessa, the first three books have maps in the front but they are very small. There are some excellent maps online. I like this one because it also shows the sign for each family. (click on the map to enlarge)

http://gameofthrones.net/images/Westero ... itical.gif

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Tue July 5th, 2011, 9:00 am

Thanks, Ash. That's a great map! I've saved it to my 'Favourites' and will print a copy off when I get round to reading the book. The edition on my Kindle doesn't have maps. I think it's just the first Kindle book which doesn't have maps - the rest do. They obviously didn't think to include it in the first one! :rolleyes: However, there is a list of the houses and characters at the end.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue July 5th, 2011, 9:12 am

I can't remember if my copy has the maps, but it does have the family lists and symbols, sorry sigils, at the back, which was helpful.

I thought the music was fabulous. I want the opening titles as my screensaver!

How are you getting on with the series Vanessa?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Tue July 5th, 2011, 9:15 am

I'm really enjoying it, Madeleine. I've watched 5 episodes now. I think it's very well done and I like the soundtrack, too!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue July 5th, 2011, 9:42 am

Yes it's great, glad you're enjoying it.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Wed July 6th, 2011, 5:56 am

I enjoyed the tv series, although it took me quite a few episodes to understand exactly who was who and I understand there will be a Season 2. I'm thinking of reading the books, but I don't want to start with the book 1 because I've watched the entire tv series. So I'd like to ask if I'd be safe to start reading the second book in the series. Would I be lost or would I be ok? Thanks.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed July 6th, 2011, 9:02 am

I did it the other way round and read book 1 first before watching the series, and found it did help having read the book first, although it took me about halfway through the book to understand who everybody was! They stuck pretty faithfully to the book for the series,so it's up to you if you want to read it, and of course there is more in the book than there was in the show. But working on that basis, I would think you'd probably be OK to read the second book - the TV series ended up exactly the same way that the book did, so if book 2 carries on from that point, then I would imagine you'd be OK with it.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”