Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Thu April 21st, 2011, 3:54 pm

[quote=""Ash""]No kidding. I almost quit that book midway through after the 'Red Wedding' but was glad to have finished it.

BTW, a bit of background - Martin has written four of the seven books he meant for the series, and its been ten years since the fourth one. Many fans are rabid about this, infuriated that he has not made good on finishing the story. His fifth book comes out this summer called Dance of the Dragons. Its hoped that the series will be the impitious that gets him to write the next two, but it could be that the series takes him away from writing, period. It remains to be seen.

Also btw speaking of SF - HBO may be making a series of Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Now that will be amazing![/quote]

I thought it was six years since A Feast of Crows? Wasn't it published in 2005?
Anyway, Martin is really taking his time. Maybe it's going to be faster after the Dance? We'll just have to wait and see.

American Gods will make a great show! I think there should be more Gaiman on TV. I loooove him, and i have two autographed books (i waited in line for 1.5 hours when he came in Moscow, but it was so worth it).

[quote=""SarahWoodbury""]I love Sean Bean and the show was really well done, but . . . I guess I was the only one who was bothered by the murder of the 9 year old boy right off in the Game of Thrones? I have 4 kids . . . I just couldn't handle it. I could see why he did it to really say--THIS ISN'T LOTR, THESE PEOPLE ARE TRULY EVIL AND OTHER PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE!--and then the incest . . . did you count the number of headless people in the first show?

Sorry, I suppose I'm a wimp.[/quote]

Well, you don't know if the boy's dead ;)
They never showed his body or anything.

It was of course a horrible thing to do, and Jaime is not a good man in any way. But you can see why he did it - if Bran talked, both Jaime and his sister-lover would be dead.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri April 22nd, 2011, 12:44 am

Sintra, I did exaggerate, its been six years, but feels like ten to some fans :)

Jamie ends up being a very interesting character by book three, fwiw (not necessarily in a good way, but more complex than most of that type of character)

Re Bran, damnitssohardtokeepfromspoilers but you'll find out soon enough :) (oh wait, its Easter Sunday, is it still on the schedule or is it off because of the holiday?)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri April 22nd, 2011, 1:50 am

PLEASE IGNORE THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS...

Jaime is a great character with so much potential for growth. I thought it was brilliant how Martin takes him from being a character we hate in book one (and I say this as someone who adores Eddard) to being someone we root for -- in the way we root for someone's redemption -- by books three and four. Martin is smart enough not to make him sympathetic, but to allow his readers to begin to understand that there is another side of the story and that things are much more complicated. Love how he pulled that off!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri April 22nd, 2011, 1:03 pm

Haven't seen it yet but wait and see re Bran......although there are some other shocks in store! Interesting to read what Ludmilla says above about Jaime - I didn't like him at all and in the first book he's a very hissable villain; however as she says it sounds interesting to see how his character will develop, I've only read the first book so early days yet re the characters!

Edited to say I've just finished watching this: thought it was visually stunning - they did the Wall really well! - in fact it almost feels wasted on the small screen, it would look amazing in the cinema; not sure about some of the casting - Sean Bean is Sean Bean as usual, although I think he looks right - but generally is very true to the book (so far) and what a way to end the first episode! Nasty yes, but this is as much like Lord of the Rings as True Blood is like Twilight; no kindly wizards or elves here! Although the wolf cubs are adorable.......but Arya is very creepy.
Last edited by Madeleine on Sat April 23rd, 2011, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon April 25th, 2011, 3:00 am

I was right, I couldn't watch the scene when Lady is killed. I love how this is being acted, and how they are focused on the meat of the story yet it doesn't feel like they are leaving anything out. The hour passed way too quickly - I want it to be Sunday again now!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 25th, 2011, 11:40 am

I'm not looking forward to that scene either! :mad:

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri June 17th, 2011, 4:07 pm

So any non readers here see the show last Sunday? Comments? It didn't matter that I knew what was coming, it was still heart breaking.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 17th, 2011, 7:18 pm

yes it's fab. Just love the opening titles and music too, and the double act which is Bronn and Tyrion could have a whole series to themselves. It's great some actors who I haven't seen in anything for ages, like Jerome Flynn who's great as Bronn.

I will miss it when it finishes. It's transmitted here the night after the US, which is very unusual, but at least it means we don't have to wait monts to see it!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sat June 18th, 2011, 8:48 pm

I don't have HBO, but saw episodes 7-9 in my hotel room while on vacation this week. It was great to see at least part of it. I guess I'll wait until Netflix has it before I see it in its entirety.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu June 30th, 2011, 2:33 pm

Question: I have Game of Thrones on my Kindle. Reading some of the reviews on Amazon, it says that there isn't a map on the Kindle version. Do I need to have the map?

I've watched the first three episodes recently and I'm really enjoying it. My husband isn't over-keen so I'm having to watch it when I'm by myself. :rolleyes:
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”