Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon March 25th, 2013, 10:43 am

I've found Dany boring pretty much from the beginning (in both book and show). It's odd as I think her story is actually quite interesting, it's just her! I really hope she doesn't end up with the Iron Throne, she'd probably bore everyone to death and still be whingeing about her dragons.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon March 25th, 2013, 11:33 am

I like Dany's dragons! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue March 26th, 2013, 12:55 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I've found Dany boring pretty much from the beginning (in both book and show). It's odd as I think her story is actually quite interesting, it's just her! I really hope she doesn't end up with the Iron Throne, she'd probably bore everyone to death and still be whingeing about her dragons.[/quote]

Same here and I know I shouldn't but I tend to skim her chapters, mainly because she bores me. When I watch the show on TV I have to watch it but once I get the DVD's I FF her scenes. I don't know why, but I find her incredibly tedious and think Iain Glen is wasted in the show!

Bec :) Not long now for GOT S 3 :D

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue March 26th, 2013, 9:20 am

Yes I speed-read her chapters, and think I'd skip them all together if I did do any re-reads. I agree that IG is wasted in that role, although he's good in it - I only really watch her scenes for him. Still at least they get to film somewhere nice and warm!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue March 26th, 2013, 10:01 am

I don't mind Dany. She's an important part, though, isn't she?

I was thinking with regard to prequels, perhaps GRRM doesn't want the series to end so is putting off the moment! After all he's lived with these characters for quite a few years, they must seem so real to him - it will be difficult to let go.
Last edited by Vanessa on Tue March 26th, 2013, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue March 26th, 2013, 11:36 am

I imagine there'd be quite a bit of back story too - for the Starks and Lannisters alone, whose history is hinted at in the books but not gone into in great detail.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed March 27th, 2013, 1:29 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I imagine there'd be quite a bit of back story too - for the Starks and Lannisters alone, whose history is hinted at in the books but not gone into in great detail.[/quote]

I'd also like to know what the terrible event at Summerhall was? I would read and watch the prequels once GRRM finishes the first series of Game of Thrones.

Bec :)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”