Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed May 16th, 2012, 2:42 am

I closed my eyes in one part....But I heard it :eek: and was glad I kept them closed! Good to see Robb if only for a while, but I still find Theon snooze worthy. :mad: :rolleyes:

I'm also enjoying seeing more of Tywin(SP?)Lannister, he certainly is a ruthless so and so. Picking Charles Dance for that role was perfect casting. From the previews I think I spotted Jaime so will be waiting for next weeks show.

There is one character that kind of has me puzzled, he has a strange name, and I don't remember him in the books(but then again I did skim Arya's chapters) he has a white streak in his hair. What is he to Arya?....I hope that will be explained in later episodes.

Bec :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 16th, 2012, 9:01 am

Yes I think Charles Dance is well-cast to, he's ruthless but has a twinkle in his eye as well.

My personal jury is still out on Theon, mainly because I'm not totally convinced by Alfie Allen's portrayal, although he was better this week, especially in the last scene where he actually did look a bit desperate.

Nice to see the Kingslayer back on form though! Consolation prize for not very much Tyrion.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 30th, 2012, 9:08 am

Watched this week's ep last night and thought it was the best one yet - felt quite drained at the end of it all, despite reading the book and knowing what was coming. Another great performance from Peter Dinklage, and no Theon or Dany, yayy. They did change the battle quite a bit from the book, but it was still good. It was also interesting to see that GRRM wrote this ep himself. Shame they didn't do the bit with the chain though!
Last edited by Madeleine on Wed May 30th, 2012, 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed May 30th, 2012, 2:53 pm

Yes, it was a good one. I wonder if they section the book off and then condense each into one episode? Obviously some changes are to attract a wider audience.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 30th, 2012, 3:13 pm

I was reading that it's Sky Atlantic's most successful show - getting 10 times more viewers than Mad Men, for example - and has attracted more viewers than the usual fantasy/sci-fi shows.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed May 30th, 2012, 5:46 pm

That's interesting, Madeleine.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu May 31st, 2012, 2:11 am

It is strange how sometimes when reading you 'picture' in your mind who you think suit the role. When it comes to Stannis Baratheon I had pictured Mark Strong(for some unknown reason) in the role. I was a little disappointed with Stephen Dillane(at times one felt as if he were reading his lines off a tele-prompter) but last week with his conversation with Davos you saw why he is angry and feels betrayed. Stannis for all his cold blooded ruthlessness was loyal to his brother, Robert.

But I think what has made the show truly wonderful is the cast...I even love Charles Dance as Tywin, who looks so coldly sinsiter and of course Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime, Lena Headey as Cersei, Richard Madden as Robb and of course Peter Dinklage....As well as the younger actors Arya, Bran, Sansa, Gendry, Samwell & even the loathesome Joffrey etc.

I do hope that the same actors will play the parts next year...In one pic I thought Bran looked different? Or perhaps it is my eyes.

Bec :) PS: I have never watched Mad Men but I will be watching season 3 next year of GOT. :D

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 31st, 2012, 9:11 am

Yes the cast is wonderful, I think CD is well-cast and seems to be enjoying himself too; Stephen Dillane is better known in the UK as a theatre actor although he was Nicole Kidman's hubby in the film The Hours. It's been nice to see the young actors coming into their own in this series, esp Joffrey and Arya. I still think Iain Glen is wasted in his storyline though, but it's nice to see Liam Cunningham in a meaty role, and Jerome Flynn is great too as Bronn.

I've never seen Mad Men either; I'll be feeling bereft when GoT finishes next week!

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri June 1st, 2012, 2:38 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Yes the cast is wonderful, I think CD is well-cast and seems to be enjoying himself too; Stephen Dillane is better known in the UK as a theatre actor although he was Nicole Kidman's hubby in the film The Hours. It's been nice to see the young actors coming into their own in this series, esp Joffrey and Arya. I still think Iain Glen is wasted in his storyline though, but it's nice to see Liam Cunningham in a meaty role, and Jerome Flynn is great too as Bronn.

I've never seen Mad Men either; I'll be feeling bereft when GoT finishes next week![/quote]

I agree with you Madeleine concerning Iain Glenn, maybe he would have made a better Stannis?...In the show he simply trails after Dany from one episode to the next, I mean anyone could play his part and he is such a good actor. I like Liam Cunningham and I love Bronn and his inter-action with Tyrion.

I also feel the same in a few weeks no more GOT :eek: :( :( And such a long wait for the next season and the next book!

Bec :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 1st, 2012, 9:16 am

Yep Bronn and Tyrion are great together.

After next week - no Game of Thrones, no True Blood, no Mentalist, no CSI, no Desperate Housewives, no The Bridge - I shall be desperate for something decent to watch, especially as the next Big Brother starts, and all the sport - aaagh!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”