Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kindle Help Please!

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu April 14th, 2011, 1:53 pm

[quote=""Ken""]My Kindle should arrive on Friday. In the meantime I have tried to access 2epub, but Windows Explorer cannot access the site (from your link and/or independently). Have you tried it today? I have connected to calibre-ebook as suggested by G. Alvin Simmons and will try to convert some PDF's to .mobi on my Laptop using that. The response to my original question has been great![/quote]

Yes, you're right. The 2epub website looks down right now. Never seen that before with that site but it happens from time to time with any site. try again later.
It uses various software to do its various conversions and I believe it uses calibre for mobi conversion. I just find the interface more user-friendly.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu April 14th, 2011, 2:41 pm

[QUOTE=Misfit;83497]Same here, the ebooks the library has do not work on kindle, but then again they always have the original HB anyway so I will still go to the library - I'm not going to drop even $9.95 for a new release I can get from the library. What I like are the free books, and if you look around I think you'll find plenty of LMA books available for free that way.

Kindle does have free software for your desktop, you might download that and play with it a bit just for fun.[/QUOTEa]

If you are dealing with books from the library you might have to use software to read epub bools with digital rights management which Kindle does not have. adobe digital editions is free and allows you to read epubs on your PC or tranfer to your mobile device. you have to do this to use content from my library
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu April 14th, 2011, 4:24 pm

If you are dealing with books from the library you might have to use software to read epub bools with digital rights management which Kindle does not have. adobe digital editions is free and allows you to read epubs on your PC or tranfer to your mobile device. you have to do this to use content from my library
So far the books I am getting from the library are either 1) long OOP and not available in ebook or 2) brand new releases and they don't have them in ebook yet anyway. I looked at the titles they had available at this time and there wasn't much there to my tastes so I'll carry on with the old fashioned book for now :)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Fri April 15th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Well I've got it! Looks very nice - BUT - having charged the battery, I connected it to my computer through the USB. The Kindle just displays a sign saying if I want to read the kindle (or just have it open) I have to 'eject' it from the computer! If I don't, none of the controls work!

I then tried to transfer PDF files from my computer to the kindle which appeared to go successfully, but on checking the kindle, they had not been received!

However, when I check the kindle icon in 'My Computer' on my laptop, the downloaded files appear there - anyone know why they have not appeared on the actual kindle!

In addition, I sent a 'word' document to my kindle e-mail address and that hasn't been received either! Help!! :confused:

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri April 15th, 2011, 3:55 pm

[quote=""Ken""]Well I've got it! Looks very nice - BUT - having charged the battery, I connected it to my computer through the USB. The Kindle just displays a sign saying if I want to read the kindle (or just have it open) I have to 'eject' it from the computer! If I don't, none of the controls work!

I then tried to transfer PDF files from my computer to the kindle which appeared to go successfully, but on checking the kindle, they had not been received!

However, when I check the kindle icon in 'My Computer' on my laptop, the downloaded files appear there - anyone know why they have not appeared on the actual kindle!

In addition, I sent a 'word' document to my kindle e-mail address and that hasn't been received either! Help!! :confused: [/quote]

Ken, when it's connected by USB cable to your computer, you can't use the Kindle to read. Only to transfer files or recharge. (In order to use it to read, you have to eject and keep it connected. But, seeing as you probably don't need to do that, don't eject till you're done transferring.)
To transfer files to the Kindle, just copy and paste them into the 'documents' sub-folder within the Kindle folder. If you put them straight in the Kindle folder, they won't transfer properly. Try that and it should work just fine.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri April 15th, 2011, 4:27 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Ken, when it's connected by USB cable to your computer, you can't use the Kindle to read. Only to transfer files or recharge. (In order to use it to read, you have to eject and keep it connected. But, seeing as you probably don't need to do that, don't eject till you're done transferring.)
To transfer files to the Kindle, just copy and paste them into the 'documents' sub-folder within the Kindle folder. If you put them straight in the Kindle folder, they won't transfer properly. Try that and it should work just fine.[/quote]

Ditto. The first file I moved was in the wrong folder and I couldn't *see* it on my kindle. I went back and transfered again via the USB method and made sure to put it in the documents folder (or whatever it was called) and there it was.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Sat April 16th, 2011, 8:36 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Ditto. The first file I moved was in the wrong folder and I couldn't *see* it on my kindle. I went back and transfered again via the USB method and made sure to put it in the documents folder (or whatever it was called) and there it was.[/quote]

Misfit and sweetpotatoboy (and all the other willing helpers) - Saving to the Documents folder in kindle was the answer - You've cracked it!!!!!!

I am currently transferring all my PDF research docs across and I am like a little boy playing in a sand pit!!

Now all I've got to do is finish my darned novel! Thanks again!! :rolleyes: :eek:

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat April 16th, 2011, 10:04 am

Hurrah, hurrah! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Post by N. Gemini Sasson » Sat April 16th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Glad you figured it out, Ken. I had the same problem and had to ask a friend.

PDFs aren't always as easy to read because you may have to scroll over or up/down depending on the layout, but it's doable and can come in handy. I was at a dog show last weekend where a question on rules came up. They spent half an hour flipping through the printed rule book for clarification on a term and it occured to me if I had just put the pdf of the rules on my Kindle, I could've done a search on the document and had the answer for them in minutes.

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”