Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kindle Help Please!

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed April 13th, 2011, 7:55 pm

[quote=""Ken""]Does that help?? I am in awe of you guys. Where did you learn all of this stuff????? Thanks again!! :cool: [/quote]

We're just nerds -- we can't help ourselves.

PS: Although it's not obvious to find, you can also play Battleships on your Kindle.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Wed April 13th, 2011, 8:59 pm

I've just bought a Kindle so all this info is invaluable. Thanks. I'm off to look for the battleships.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

My Opinion

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Thu April 14th, 2011, 12:16 am

I'm also a Kindle person & have been for over 2 years. I'm on my 2nd one now. My decision between the cheaper Wi-Fi & the 3G versions came down to the fact there's no 3G coverage where I live. Wi-Fi is working just fine, thank you.
As to converting documents, be careful of direct .PDF conversions read by Kindle. My book, Odin-Son: The Berserk Saga, was sent to Amazon as a .PDF & looks pathetic in its translation. I received a tip about free conversion software offered at http://calibre-ebook.com/ that converts .PDF to .mobi which is the actual format of Kindle books. I have been very happy with the results I've gotten using the Calibre software. I'm editing the book, saving as html, & then using Calibre to convert it to .mobi. Using the free desktop Kindle reader that the others spoke about, the book is now starting to look EXACTLY like I want it to. I am presently reformatting the entire book with Calibre to replace the current Amazon version. And, no, I don't work for or have any financial interest in the product.
I hope that this helps.

Alvin

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu April 14th, 2011, 12:49 am

[quote=""Libby""]I've just bought a Kindle so all this info is invaluable. Thanks. I'm off to look for the battleships.[/quote]

I am afraid, very very afraid to look at the games. A lot of them show up on the top 100 Kindle free list as well.

Ken, speaking of free books you'd be surprised how many of the classics are available free. Dumas, Tolstoy, Eliot, Dickens, Bronte, Poe - the list goes on and on.

One thing I really really like is the notes and highlights feature. I click to add note (and then type in and save) or highlight the text I want for a favorite quote I want to share and/or save for a review and voila (!) there it is saved on the kindle. I don't quite recall how I found my way there, but I have my own *kindle* page on Amazon that shows my books I've purchased (even the freebies), plus I've found my highlights (quotes) there as well. Copy and paste onto my reading updates at Goodreads like magic. Great also for those hard to remember names/spellings you want to have for reviewing. So far, I have not had any highlights from a PDF file nor the ebook I just received from Net Galley. I can make the notes/highlights but they don't display on the Amazon page.

I hate to admit it, but as much as I do still love the feel of a real book, when I'm tired as all get out it is so nice to prop that lightweight kindle against a pillow and not have to hold a book nor turn the page - just a click will do that.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu April 14th, 2011, 2:48 am

Just so everyone knows Kindles are being sold right now for 112 bucks. Which is a huge reduction. Not sure which model though.

If I get one I'm going Nook. I love Amazon, however it appears that Amazon is limiting itself in the market. If I want free books from the library and they are using Overdrive I cannot get these books on a Kindle. In fact you can get them on all other e readers except the kindle.

I read that you can convert some of the books, but it doesnt always work.

If someone has gotten books from their public library using overdrive, I would be interested in hearing the process.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu April 14th, 2011, 6:35 am

[quote=""Divia""]If I get one I'm going Nook.
If someone has gotten books from their public library using overdrive, I would be interested in hearing the process.[/quote]

I have just gone to renew some library books online and discovered a new ebook option - and it uses Overdrive.

I really wasn't expecting this in the UK anytime soon. But I'll give it a try -- not with the Kindle I am afraid but I do also have an Elonex ebook reader (very much cheaper than Kindle) because I didn't want to limit myself to just what was available on Kindle. This uses Adobe Digital Editions (which I don't actually like that much) so will probably work with the library stuff.

Some of the Google ebook freebies work better as ePub than they do from other sources as Kindle. But I am fast developing a real real irritation with the way that Google are dealing with their free books.

However, I will try downloading Overdrive and let you know.

~~~~~

I have just done it. I must admit 1) there are not very many books available from my public library in this format but it is early days yet. 2) The audio download worked very easily, however, doesn't work on my Elonex ebook reader but it does work on my phone which is really unusual because its a Symbian and most things don't work on it except for the BBC iPlayer (which actually makes the phone worthwhile for me) and I am much more likely to take a photograph than answer a telephone call on it. 3) The ebook I tried did eventually work. It read very easily on the PC via Adobe Digital Editions but transferring it was problematic. I did eventually get it to work but had to download it from the library three times before it did.

The audiobook did need Overdrive to transfer to my phone but I am not sure that you need it for the ebook as I transferred it through the Adobe software. I need to experiment more but don't have time now as I planned to spend the day in the library and must be off.

The Library did provide links to Overdrive which tells you which mobile devices are compatible and I will post that should you need it -- just not now.
Last edited by SGM on Thu April 14th, 2011, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu April 14th, 2011, 10:07 am

I think Overdrive is what most libraries are going to use in order to deliver e and audio books to its patrons. Our school is looking into it as well as the county. Both Oswego and Ononadaga county have overdrive as well.

We dont have many choices, just yet, but its still new,, like you said. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu April 14th, 2011, 12:20 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I think Overdrive is what most libraries are going to use in order to deliver e and audio books to its patrons. Our school is looking into it as well as the county. Both Oswego and Ononadaga county have overdrive as well.

We dont have many choices, just yet, but its still new,, like you said. :) [/quote]

Same here, the ebooks the library has do not work on kindle, but then again they always have the original HB anyway so I will still go to the library - I'm not going to drop even $9.95 for a new release I can get from the library. What I like are the free books, and if you look around I think you'll find plenty of LMA books available for free that way.

Kindle does have free software for your desktop, you might download that and play with it a bit just for fun.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu April 14th, 2011, 1:00 pm

I know it's up to the publisher whether an ebook is lendable, but has anyone tried any of the new lending sites such as Lendle? It's another option for sharing books that are lendable.

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Thu April 14th, 2011, 1:47 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I've had my Kindle for a month or so. Like you, I largely wanted it for the many documents I already have.

YES, it can read PDFs (and importing these and the other non-Kindle formats that are supported via USB is a doddle). BUT, unless the PDF has specifically been created with large font, it is not an easy read; and even then, you don't really have many adjustment options.

If your PDFs or .doc are largely text, you're better off converting to .mobi files first, which the Kindle supports natively and can adjust as with its own format.

I use the 2epub website for conversions:
http://www.2epub.com/
You upload your file, choose convert to mobi, and download the result.

Maybe try testing converting a few of your PDFs and doc files into mobi first to see how they come out. If they're fine, then your Kindle will read and format them beautifully.
You'll need to download the Mobipocket reader for PCs to view the mobi files on your PC:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadso ... reader.asp
but your Kindle reads them as it is.

Hope that helps that part of your question.[/quote]

My Kindle should arrive on Friday. In the meantime I have tried to access 2epub, but Windows Explorer cannot access the site (from your link and/or independently). Have you tried it today? I have connected to calibre-ebook as suggested by G. Alvin Simmons and will try to convert some PDF's to .mobi on my Laptop using that. The response to my original question has been great!

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”