Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Recommendations: Alaska, British Columbia

Telynor
Bibliophile

Recommendations: Alaska, British Columbia

Post by Telynor » Wed April 13th, 2011, 6:48 am

I am trying to find some good nonfiction or fiction to read before and during my trip to the Pacific Northwest. Any suggestions?

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed April 13th, 2011, 9:11 am

At risk of being predictable, I heartily recommend James Michener's "Alaska".

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 13th, 2011, 10:50 am

[quote=""Telynor""]I am trying to find some good nonfiction or fiction to read before and during my trip to the Pacific Northwest. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Just finished Beyond the Shining Mountains by Doris Shannon. Western BC, fur trading post. Celeste de Blasis wrote The Tiger's Woman that's set in old Seattle and the San Juan Islands. Glory by Janice Young Brooks starts in Seattle and then moves through Skagway and then the Yukon territory.

There's that book that was out last year about the singer who ended up in Seattle. I am drawing an absolute blank on the title/author at this hour of the morning so perhaps someone else can help out.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed April 13th, 2011, 5:46 pm

It's not HF, but Mitchell Smith's Due North was very good and Nora Roberts' Northern Lights is NR at her best.
Last edited by annis on Wed April 13th, 2011, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed April 13th, 2011, 7:09 pm

I'd recommend Tisha. It's memoir, not fiction, but it reads like fiction. I have also enjoyed Fifty years Below Zero, another memoir by Charles Brown.

If you've never read the Alaska poems of Robert Service, you should try them. Very much like Kipling in rhythm and meter and general style.

And of course, no Alaska reading list is complete without Jack London. Call of the Wild and White Fang deserve a re-read.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed April 13th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Jealous you're going to my birth place (Alaska) and the home of my best friend (BC).

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Chris Little
Reader

Eagle Song and Sea Runners

Post by Chris Little » Thu April 14th, 2011, 5:39 am

For Eagle Song, James Houston, the Canadian, took an actual event where early Euro Americans encountered Native Americans ... slavery and culture of Cedar Salmon ... Doig also based Sea Runners on an actual escape from Russian held Alaska ... for Eagle Song, I suggest viewing the hardcover on Fantastic Fiction rather than judging it by the absurd paperback cover displayed at Amazon.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu April 14th, 2011, 6:31 am

Hi Chris :)

if you want to go waaay back, Sue Harrison did a couple of trilogies set in prehistoric Alaska which I enjoyed years ago

The Ivory Carver Trilogy
Mother Earth Father Sky
My Sister the Moon
Brother Wind

The Storyteller Trilogy
Song of the River
Cry of the Wind
Call Down the Stars

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu April 14th, 2011, 12:24 pm

*smacks head*

Almost forgot Heartbroke Bay by Lynn D'Urso.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Chris Little
Reader

Post by Chris Little » Thu April 14th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Hi Annis,

Harrison's anthropology appeals to me and I've skimmed some of her Aleut tales ... reading this year mostly research NF ... visualize paddling from Sunda to Baja with Jomon Captain Cook 16kya ... currently savoring Pielou's "After the Ice Age" ... next on library list for Rothfuss #2 ...

Return to “America”