Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

cats!

Post your pet pictures here!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue April 12th, 2011, 8:21 pm

[quote=""Greg""]Ahh yes My furry muse insists on sitting on my shoulders when I'm typing, in winter with the padding it is bearable. Summer however is another matter since he is a Norwegian forest his claws are 'impressive' and strong. Apparently at my last medical the dcotor expressed some shock at the crisscross scarring of my shoulders leading her to 'question' my ahh 'hobbies'.

A flashed photo settled her concerns.
regards Greg

http://rednedtudormysteries.blogspot.com/[/quote]

Beautiful kitteh. Hope you got the doctor to believe you.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat April 16th, 2011, 11:47 pm

Is your Norwegian Forest Cat related to the Siberian or Russian Forest Cats?
My son and his partner have one of those. She has a very thick downy underlayer of fur and big feet and is notable for her love of being out in the rain, whereas my cat is a total wuss and rushes inside at the first hint of rain then behaves badly because she's got cabin fever! A bit like a naughty toddler, really :)

Greg
Reader

Post by Greg » Sun April 24th, 2011, 2:30 pm

To Annis
Is your Norwegian Forest Cat related to the Siberian or Russian Forest Cats?
My son and his partner have one of those. She has a very thick downy underlayer of fur and big feet and is notable for her love of being out in the rain, whereas my cat is a total wuss and rushes inside at the first hint of rain then behaves badly because she's got cabin fever! A bit like a naughty toddler, really
I understand that they are geneticially related, have come from roughly the same bioregion. Mrytle is incredbile intelligent and apart from talking to us has opened doors, windows, 'cat proof' cat food safes, and so on. Its the almost opposable thumbs they have that i blame it on. As an excercise for one of my year 7 design classes (age 12-13) I gave them a story of the battle to keep Myrtle out of the fridge as an example of evolving changes in design. I think the last part ran like this - 'this is my last entry, alas all my precautions are doomed, Mrytle has learnt to use the computer and ordered a gas torch cutting kit. Perhaps I should console myself with one small benefit, so far that he hasn't figured out internet mail order bunnies.'

Regard Greg

Greg
Reader

the scars form my cat

Post by Greg » Sun April 24th, 2011, 2:41 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Beautiful kitteh. Hope you got the doctor to believe you.[/quote]
Well that doctor eventually, others look at me in that strange way that instantly lets me know they 'think' they know what I've been doing, and are 'too polite' to mention the abidding vice of public schools-Birching!
Or alternately may they think I'm part of a Flagallant Order at least one passed me a card for a local Hellfire club. But that turned out all right, they wanted some manacles forged up and keep the rough edges.

Regards Greg

http://prognosticationsandpouting.blogspot.com/
http://rednedtudormysteries.blogspot.com/

Greg
Reader

Tree Cats

Post by Greg » Mon April 25th, 2011, 6:20 am

[quote=""LoobyG""]Hehehe! What a beautiful kitty Greg and a good story. My boyfriend would like a Norwegian forest cat one day, he calls them tree cats :D [/quote]

Ahh yes tree cats I like that, Myrtle never met a tree he couldn't climb and then to come down he'd actually turnaround and run down the tree. It is the most amazing sight. One of our friend was once concered that Myrtle was stuck up a tree and stood below against the tree trunk calling for him to come down. Being an obediant moggie Myrt did and promptly ran straight down his back as well, before bounding off to sound of agonised screams due to the 'traction marks'.
Unfortunately for Muffin (son of Myrt) he'd gained his father's ambitions, but inherited his mother's dainty paws. Thus if dad could do it so could he! Forty foot up a smooth bark gum tree to the first branch he discovered he'd lucked out in the genetic inheritence stakes for paws and claws. He was too far for a ladder and so we had to leave him up there to figure it out. By dinner time three hours later he had, though afterwards Muffin prefered much, much shorter trees.
Regards Greg.

Regards Greg

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon April 25th, 2011, 4:57 pm

Animal Planet is running a series called Cats 101 where they review 4-5 breeds in a show. Just saw the one with the Norwegian Forest Cat. They used to travel with Vikings on their ships. Very impressive.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Greg
Reader

Post by Greg » Tue April 26th, 2011, 1:59 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Animal Planet is running a series called Cats 101 where they review 4-5 breeds in a show. Just saw the one with the Norwegian Forest Cat. They used to travel with Vikings on their ships. Very impressive.[/quote]
They are indeed, as one expert said they are perhaps the most dog like of all the cat breeds.(Myrtle though would disagreed with that statement, he won't have anything to do with a mere canine) It has also been suggested and I suspect with some justification that the Norwegian forest may be the direct ancestor of the Maine Coon. We've had both and they are uncannily similar in moods, intelligence and ability, not to mention look and build, though of course the Maine Coon is much larger.

Regards Greg

http://rednedtudormysteries.blogspot.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 26th, 2011, 2:39 pm

I think someone else on here has Maine Coon cats, Berengaria if she's still around is the proud owner I think.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

Return to “Pet Pix”