Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How did you discover the last HF book you read?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.

how did you find out about your latest HF read?

I liked other books by this author
29%
it was recommended on this forum
23%
recommended on another forum (Goodreads, etc)
12%
found it through browsing in a physical store
6%
browsing / recommendation on Amazon (or B&N)
10%
web advertisement
No votes
other media advertising
No votes
reviewed or recommended on a blog
4%
recommended by a friend (includes bookclubs)
6%
received as a gift (includes ARCs and other giveaways)
12%

Total votes: 52

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon April 11th, 2011, 8:08 am

My last HF novel was The Lady's Slipper by Deborah Swift, which I loved. I noticed it on the 'Forthcoming Books' thread and then I looked at it on Amazon, so I think I'll have to tick the 'recommended on here' and 'browsing on Amazon' options as they seem to be the nearest.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon April 11th, 2011, 8:45 am

I remember seeing it reviewed on some blogs when it first came out late last year and then recently it was voted for a Goodreads group read so I joined it.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Mon April 11th, 2011, 9:24 am

My last historical was "A Blot on the Scutcheon" which i found as a free book at Project Gutenberg, so that comes under "browsing" but not at a physical bookstore.
And the one before that was "The Black Moth" by Georgette Heyer (also from PG) whihc comes under "liked other works by the author"

But mostly the new-to-me authors / books I find from here in the Upcoming Books threads :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

CindyInOz
Reader

Post by CindyInOz » Mon April 11th, 2011, 11:39 pm

I'm currently reading Michelle Moran's Madame Tussaud, which I originally heard about on this forum (thoroughly enjoying it!)

JRTomlin
Scribbler

Post by JRTomlin » Sat April 23rd, 2011, 11:18 pm

I just finished the last of Robert Low's Oathsworn series which are some of the best historical novels I've read in a very long time. They were highly recommended to me by a friend who is a librarian in Scotland. Unfortunately, Low is not nearly as widely known or read in the US as I think he should be.

It's a four novel series about the Vikings that is absolutely meticulously researched and a wonderful change from the novels of manners/romances you see so much in historical novels now.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat April 23rd, 2011, 11:58 pm

Ok, that sounds like just the thing for my DH. Is that series available here or do I need Book Depository?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon April 25th, 2011, 2:03 am

Well, this has been illuminating. I don't know if our members are typical, but if they are, buying advertising space to promote a novel is a complete waste of money.

It might have worked before the internet, but it doesn't now. Just think, as little as six years ago most of the media we use daily didn't even exist. I can't think when the last time was that I looked at a physical newspaper.

So if puffery and promotion no longer works, then writers had better turn out sterling quality on the first novel. After that, apparently the faithful will keep testing.

Maybe I should do a poll on how many bad books an author can get away with before the fans stop buying.

Except I'm still working on the first, so I'm not interested in that info yet. :D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon April 25th, 2011, 2:12 am

Maybe I should do a poll on how many bad books an author can get away with before the fans stop buying.

:D

Interestingly, I have popped in to look at sales totals on books during recent heavy blog promotions. Never could find a spike in sales that one might have expected.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon April 25th, 2011, 2:57 am

If its a new author with a bad book, I'd have to be getting really good vibes from fellow readers before I go to another. If its a favorite author, I can accept a bad book. But a few more than that, I give up (Anne Tyler and Amy Tan are two examples of ones I don't read anymore)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon April 25th, 2011, 3:27 am

[quote=""MLE""]

Except I'm still working on the first, so I'm not interested in that info yet. :D [/quote] I was going to wait and give my feedback on this when you put up your next poll, but since others have already responded, I decided to jump in as well. :)

I suspect I am a bit more unforgiving than most. That is, the most bad books I will allow an author is two. Sometimes only one, if the first book is just really bad and/or I was unable to finish it. If I read a book that's moderately bad, then I will sometimes give the author another chance. But two strikes and they're out with me.

I have become very wary of buying books by new-to-me authors; I have been burnt several times. So now, if an author is new to me I try them via book swap or the library.

Return to “General Discussion”