Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

[NF] She Captains: Heroines and Hellions of the Sea by Joan Druett

fljustice
Bibliophile

[NF] She Captains: Heroines and Hellions of the Sea by Joan Druett

Post by fljustice » Tue April 5th, 2011, 5:17 pm

This one sat on my TBR shelf for far too long, but finally got its chance. It's a hardback with dust jacket that I picked up at the bargain bin, because I'm a sucker for anything that sheds light on women in history. From the dust jacket:

"In her inimitable, yarn-spinning style, award-winning historian Joan Druett tells us what life was like for the women who dared to captain ships of their own, don pirates' garb, and perform heroic and hellacious deeds on the high seas....From the warrior queens of the sixth cnetury B. C. to the women shipowners influential in opening the Northwest Passage, Druett has assembled a real-life cast of characters whose boldness and bravado will capture popular imagination."

First of all, the title is misleading. I expected a book of She Captains, stories of women who captained ships and lead crews. Druett starts off with 78 pages on ancient queens who sailed with their own navies, female Vikings, and actual female pirates. The rest of the book is devoted to women who are captains' wives or mistresses, victims of pirates, or involved in the business end. Their stories are fascinating and I enjoyed hearing about them, but that is not what I expected.

The writing is a bit dry and some of the stories seem like padding. I could have done without the chapter on women being captured by Barbary pirates and the space given to Lady Hamilton (Admiral Nelson's paramour), neither of which seem to fit the premise of the book. What did work, was the astonishing number of documented women who went to sea as crew disguised as men; or accompanied their husbands on war ships, whalers, or exploratory expeditions. I had no idea that captains regularly took their wives and children with them on long voyages. I'd always suspected that a number of women made their livings from the sea, especially wives, widows and daughters of seaman, fisherman, and shipping magnates; and was glad to have that confirmed.

From the chapter on Ice Queens:

"The winters of the last two decades of the nineteenth century regularly discovered a dozen or more whaling vessels snugged up in Pauline Cove at Herschel Island in the western Arctic, all neatly roofed over and with the sides banked up with blocks of snow. Quite a town would be established around these strange residences, for natives, intrigued by the exotic community, build their snow houses near by on the ice. Inside the ships, it was cozy and both inside and outside it was sociable...In the 1894-95 season there where no fewer than seven European females at Herschel Island...It was a strangely formal existence, with dances, whist parties, costume balls, concerts (one concert party being called "The Herschel Island Snowflakes"), and amateur theatricals. Dinner parties were staged, complete with amazing menus. One included "Lobster salad & olives, Oyster Pate with French peas" and "Bartlett Pears, with citron & sponge cake" for dessert."

The book seems well-researched. Druett doesn't use footnotes or offer a comprehensive bibliography, but does have a sixteen-page chapter by chapter list of bibliographical notes and a thirteen-page index. I'd recommend this book for anyone who needs to have their consciousness raised about women and the sea (it wasn't just the boys sailing out there!) It's the kind of book that doesn't quite rate as a research book, but can inspire additional research into the stories of the individual women covered.

The details:
  • Title: She Captains: Heroines and Hellions of the Sea
  • Author: Joan Druett
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster, 2000
  • ISBN: 0-684-85690-5
  • Pages: 304
Last edited by fljustice on Tue April 5th, 2011, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed April 6th, 2011, 11:38 am

Interesting post, Faith, thank you. There's a book in there somewhere! Tempted? :)
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed April 6th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Thanks, Ben! Every time I read one of these books, I have a dozen ideas for books. My biggest regret is that I'll never have the time to write all the books I want to write. There's this one story, I see as a family saga; but I'll have to research two new centuries, Jewish banking in England, Barbary pirates, sugar plantations in the Caribbean, the Indian wars in Florida, and the U.S. Post Office. :p
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”