Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Eating? Or the Last Thing You Ate

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed October 15th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Now Chili is an American dish, right? Are there any other American dishes that Europeans eat on a regular basis?
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 15th, 2008, 5:14 pm

[quote=""1lila1""]Now Chili is an American dish, right? Are there any other American dishes that Europeans eat on a regular basis?[/quote]

It's kind of sold as Mexican in the UK.
There are a lot of American snack dishes and fast food - Tortilla chips, hamburgers (but called beefburgers). All the commercial junk food stuff. American breakfast muffins (like giant fairy cakes?) have made their way over to the UK. New York Cheesecake (so called). That appears in quite a few recipe books. Hot dogs! Fried chicken. These days the UK seems uneasy with its own cuisine. The older generation still love their tradtional meat and two vegetables kind of dishes but pasta and rice, Indian, Chinese and Italian dishes are just as likely to appear on the dinner table - but adapted for UK tastes. Chicken Tikka, Sweet and sour chicken, (both out of jars) pizza or spaghetti bolognse. Younger son and his student nurse girlfriend are eating lasagne tonight. We're out at the gym but will come home to poached eggs on toast.
I can't think of anything American I cook other than chilli, but there are a lot of American influences in commercial foods. Occasionally the cookery mags (aimed at the middle classes) will do an American feature, especially around Thanksgiving and Halloween.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Wed October 15th, 2008, 5:19 pm

I can't really think of anything specific that I cook that is an American dish, but as EC says there are American influences in commercial foods here in Belgium too.

Tonight we had homemade meat loaf with apple sauce. Which is one of my youngest son's favourites.
I suppose meat loaf is something that is known in a lot of countries.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed October 15th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Yes, meatloaf is a popular dish here too. It's a classic comfort food. I'm looking forward to the cooler weather so I can cook some nice stews and soups. There's nothing better than a big bowl of soup with hot buttered bread. Mmmm!!

BTW, a tip: when you cook chili, instead of regular canned tomatoes substitute one can of roasted tomatoes. It makes a huge difference in the flavor! I happily came across this by accident last year when I ran out of crushed tomatoes. Yummy!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed October 15th, 2008, 7:08 pm

[quote=""EC2""]The older generation still love their tradtional meat and two vegetables kind of dishes [/quote]

There are many home-cooking style restaurants in my region that only serve meat and several choices of vegetables, along with a bread biscuit or a dinner roll. Sweetened iced tea, soda or water is the usual beverage. The outside signs advertise lunch as "Meat & three w/tea for $4.95" or a similar price. The price gets the buyer their choice of one meat serving (chix, beef, or pork) and a choice of three different servings of veggies.

[quote=""EC2""]I can't think of anything American I cook other than chilli, but there are a lot of American influences in commercial foods. [/quote]

I love the basic beef chili made with red kidney and black beans, and with yellow corn added with the tomato, too. Plenty of cumin and chili powder and I'm done! I've got a little recipe book for chili and other stews, but there are so many other ingredients required, that I just going back to the basic one I love. Grilled cheese sandwiches with chili on a cold day just can't be beat.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed October 15th, 2008, 7:59 pm

An Apple Berry Chewy Bar (generic) and Toast.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu October 16th, 2008, 3:28 am

I have loved the topic on Shepherds Pie! A friend here moved out here when he was a lad, coming origonally from the north of England. Here he eventually married a young lady from Singapore. His in-laws came over, and as his wife was working overtime he cooked dinner: Shepherds Pie! They loved it! The next night he did them Ham, eggs and chips! The in laws were so pleased with him! They took home the recipie! When he later went to visit them, he was asked to cook a Shepherds Pie for the family!

BTW. I have just had a cheese salad wrap!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu October 16th, 2008, 9:39 pm

Slice of Sausage Pizza.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri October 17th, 2008, 2:27 am

[quote=""EC2""]American breakfast muffins (like giant fairy cakes?) have made their way over to the UK. [/quote]

LOL, "fairy cakes" sure is an accurate description! I never really understood how people can basically eat dessert for breakfast. Pancakes with sweetened fruit topping and whipped cream, huge muffins that are basically no better than cake. I might as well have cheesecake for breakfast! Don't get me wrong, I'm all about my sweettooth! But I prefer not to mix business (healthy well rounded meals) with pleasure (yummy sweet dessert goodness)! :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri October 17th, 2008, 2:36 am

I have had cheesecake for breakfast on occasion! Very decadent!

Speaking about unusual breakfasts reminds me of one of the breakfasts that we had when I was touring Europe.

We were in Budapest and for dinner we had a very nice goulash and chocolate mud cake. When it was served up again for breakfast it wasn't quite as appetising! Luckily they did have rolls etc as well.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”