Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Robert McCammon

Leyland
Bibliophile

Robert McCammon

Post by Leyland » Wed September 17th, 2008, 3:48 pm

I'm a big fan of McCammon's HF novels Speaks the Blackbird and The Queen of Bedlam, as well as of his previously published horror stories. I wanted to share his blog post from his MySpace site regarding his plans for writing a series of seven additional HF novels featuring Matthew Corbett.
Hi everybody,

I wanted to check in and tell you how much I appreciate your comments.

I guess it would be a cliche to say that your positive response to my work is one of the major things that keep me going, but this doesn't make it any less true. A writer very often feels like he or she is working in the dark, so any candle of response is much appreciated. Again, thank you for taking the time to write in and let me know.

I finished Mister Slaughter in June, but I'm still waiting to see exactly when the book's going to be published. My agent and publisher are "in talks" (another cliche, I suppose, but again true) and I'm hoping to find out something within the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I wanted to tell you what the future holds. Knowing from experience that nothing can be written in stone, my plan is to write a contemporary novel next, before I do the next Matthew Corbett book. It's about a rock band and is set in the summer of 2008, but that's about all I can say right now.

The Matthew Corbett books are a real challenge to do, with putting together the story and the research, and I've decided it would be fun (?) to do this book set in the here-and-now before getting started on the next Matthew story.

As a matter of fact, I hope to do another contemporary book after I finish the next Matthew book as well. I'm planning on doing seven more Matthew books, so it looks like I'm not going to be sitting around in retirement like I thought I was going to be a few years ago, so in that instance my crystal ball was severely cracked. And I'm glad it was, because I really am enjoying writing the Matthew series.

So...that's basically where I'm going for the next few years. At one point I'd hoped to be able to do a Matthew book every year, but they're too complicated for that and I do need some downtime between them. This idea about the band has really reached out and grabbed me, so we'll see. This is kinda scary for me because I haven't written a contemporary book for a good long while (as in many years).

Again, thanks for your comments and your participation on the website. Thanks for all your well-wishes and your appreciation of my work, and I'll talk to you again further along the way.

Best Wishes,

Robert McCammon
I'm so glad to hear that he plans to keep writing!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Hunter
Scribbler

Post by Hunter » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 11:02 pm

MISTER SLAUGHTER IS COMING!!!

...to Subterranean Press!

Mister Slaughter is the third book in the Matthew Corbett series, which is set in the very early 1700s.

Earlier today, I posted a video (and audio) of Robert McCammon reading a chapter from Mister Slaughter at last weekend's Alabama Bound event.

Robert McCammon reads from Mister Slaughter

More publication details will be available in the next week or so.

Hunter

Hunter
Scribbler

Post by Hunter » Thu May 14th, 2009, 3:09 am

This is the planned cover art for Mister Slaughter, the third novel in Robert McCammon's historical fiction series set in Colonial America and featuring Matthew Corbett, a "problem solver." Mister Slaughter will be published by Subterranean Press in an affordable ($24.95) trade hardcover edition, as well as numbered and lettered limited editions.

Hunter

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri May 15th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Very interesting cover concept - I haven't seen many HF's with a bloody knife and manacles. I will definitely be buying it, so thanks for the heads up, Hunter.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Hunter
Scribbler

Post by Hunter » Sat September 19th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Chapter 1 from Robert McCammon's upcoming third novel in the Matthew Corbett series, Mister Slaughter, has been posted to Matthew Corbett's World. You can also find the first chapter of Speaks the Nightbird and The Queen of Bedlam there.

Hunter

Hunter
Scribbler

Post by Hunter » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 1:46 pm

A 171-page (!) excerpt from Robert McCammon's Mister Slaughter has been posted on the Subterranean Press website.

Hunter

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 10:35 pm

How big is the book if the excerpt is 171 pages long. :eek:
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu December 3rd, 2009, 12:29 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]How big is the book if the excerpt is 171 pages long. :eek: [/quote]

The site says it's an extra long excerpt; the book is 440 pages, according to amazon.

I love this author's work. I was a big fan of his supernatural novels; and I've read Speaks the Nightbird. I need to read Queen of Bedlam ; it's currently about mid-way up on Mt TBR. Very exciting news! Thanks, Leyland, for posting.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Hunter
Scribbler

Post by Hunter » Tue February 2nd, 2010, 8:30 pm

Just to followup, Robert McCammon's new novel, Mister Slaughter, was released in January, as planned, by Subterranean Press. The book is already into its third printing.

Hunter

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Tue February 2nd, 2010, 10:28 pm

I read the first two books in the series, and enoyed them a lot. Looking forward to Mister Slaughter... it's gotten some good reviews on Amazon, too.

Return to “By Author”