Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hello from Moscow!

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Sintra
Reader

Hello from Moscow!

Post by Sintra » Mon March 21st, 2011, 12:08 pm

Just introducing myself :)
Hi, i'm russian and i live in Moscow. I love history, especially russian (cause how can you not, it's fascinating) and british.
Guess it all started four years ago when i decided to watch "The Tudors". I thought Johnathan Rhys Meyers was a cutie back then :)
So i watched the first season and decided to know more about the period. I bought Antonia Fraser's book on six wives in a foreign literature store and i just can't stop since then.
I read blogs, order books and wait for them to come for a month or more (i'm not really into e-books, so i guess it's my punishment for not going with the progress and stuff).
Now my favourite period is 12th-13th century, and i'm just in love with early Plantagenets. You just can't make up stuff like this.
My favourite books are "Katherine" by Anya Seton (read it twice, it's so awesome), Sharon Penman's Welsh Trilogy and Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles.
Dunnett was really hard to get into and there were some passages i didn't get at all, but i just fell in love with it after all.
Really looking forward to reading Penman's Eleanor of Aquitane trilogy since it features some of my favourite characters. I know it sounds strange coming from someone who adores her Welsh Trilogy, but i love both John and Edward and the way she portrays them. I've read a couple of John's biographies and i really want to read more about him (I think my friends hate him though cause i talk about him so much).
I love Elizabeth Chadwick's books also but i only read two. Well, hers are the only ones translated in russian, but i don't really trust in good translations anymore :)
P.S. God, i'm wordy.
P.P.S Hope i didn't make a lot of mistakes, it's always easier to read than to write =)
Last edited by Sintra on Mon March 21st, 2011, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon March 21st, 2011, 1:02 pm

Hi Sintra and welcome! I'm another e-book hater, and middle ages fan. Have fun here.
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon March 21st, 2011, 1:12 pm

Hi Sintra, welcome aboard.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon March 21st, 2011, 1:27 pm

Hi Sintra, Welcome to the forums. I'm Elizabeth Chadwick. If you've read my books in Russian, I hope the translation was at least reasonable! :eek: :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Mon March 21st, 2011, 1:51 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words!

[quote=""EC2""]Hi Sintra, Welcome to the forums. I'm Elizabeth Chadwick. If you've read my books in Russian, I hope the translation was at least reasonable! :eek: :D [/quote]
Hi, it's so nice to meet you!
No, i've read both books in english (it's just that i've tried to read Dunnett's translation and it was awful). But i really want to purchase "The Greatest Knight" and "Scarlet Lion" in russian so my friends could read them. So i'm going to find out pretty soon if translation is reasonable! I really hope so.
But there's some really strange stuff on the covers. :confused:

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon March 21st, 2011, 1:53 pm

Welcome, Sintra! I hope you enjoy it here. Your English is excellent!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon March 21st, 2011, 4:04 pm

Welcome! I've just read Helen Dunmore's two books set in (what was then) Leningrad.

and your English is spot on.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon March 21st, 2011, 4:40 pm

Welcome, Sintra. I'm sure you'll have a great time here...and your English is great!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Mon March 21st, 2011, 5:00 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]
and your English is spot on.[/quote]

[quote=""Vanessa""]Welcome, Sintra! I hope you enjoy it here. Your English is excellent![/quote]

[quote=""fljustice""]Welcome, Sintra. I'm sure you'll have a great time here...and your English is great! [/quote]

Thank you so much! That's another reason why i should be grateful to historical fiction :)

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I've just read Helen Dunmore's two books set in (what was then) Leningrad[/quote]

How was it? Personally i'm just too scared to read any novels about the Leningrad Siege. I love Saint Petersburg, and i can't imagine how people could endure such a horrible blockade.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon March 21st, 2011, 5:09 pm

Hi Sintra, lovely to meet you.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”