Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Worst HF you've ever read

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun December 7th, 2008, 4:25 pm

I'm with you on the Name of the Rose - film was great, didn't make much headway with the book... yep another DNF (so nice to learn a new acronym ;) ) though I really enjoyed Foucaults Pendulum.

I was very annoyed with Elizabeth Kostova as I ploughed all the way through the Historian waiting for a payoff that never came. I suppose you could call it a FBRI - Finished But Regretted It.

On the film/book front, I think a lot depends on which you see first. If you see an adaptation of a book you've really enjoyed, you're much more likely to be disappointed. Whereas the other way around, you can watch the film without any prior expectations.

Jonathan Strange - I did finish that and I didn't regret it. I think this is a book that people either love or hate. It's very dense - I happened to be just in the mood for it at the time, and it really did pay off persistence with a satisfying ending IMHO :D

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Tidelands" by Philippa Gregory
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun December 7th, 2008, 4:29 pm

I quite liked The Historian! It did sag a bit in the middle but on the whole it wasn't a bad read.

didn't like Corelli at all, skipped some pages and think it's one of the most over-rated books I've read. Film looks beautiful but is probably the worst-cast movie I've seen in ages, only John Hurt can hold his head up in that one!

AuntiePam
Reader

Post by AuntiePam » Sun December 7th, 2008, 5:18 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Yes DNF is 'Did not finish'. The older I gets the more it seems to happen.[/quote]

Me too. Life's too short. I usually give a book 50 pages or so, but I've dumped some after just a few.
I much preferred The Name of the Rose the film, but couldn't get on with the book.
Same here. Usually I can tell the meaning of a word from its context, but not with this book. I had my dictionary at hand but stopping to look up a word on every page really slowed things down. I finally gave up. Loved the movie.
The Historian was a DNF for me, as was Jonathan Strange and Mr Norel. I tried reading them one after the other and it nearly did for me!
I started and stopped Norell a couple of times, and then I read a review that laid out what Clarke was trying to do. It changed my attitude about the book and I was able to finish it. I still wish it had been something else though. I'm sort of a backseat driver/reader sometimes -- I want the author to do it MY way or I get antsy. :) Norell needed more magic, more action, more of the fluffy-haired man. How was it she described his hair? Thistledown? Something like that.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue December 16th, 2008, 5:27 am

Stopped and started a couple of times, and finally dnf Edward Rutherfurd's "The Dublin Sagas".....I tolerated ER's "Sarum" and will add a wallbanger "Mists of Avalon"

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Tue December 16th, 2008, 7:31 am

The Name of the Rose - FBRI

Dublin - FBRI (though I enjoyed London, Sarum and Russka very much)

Crime and Punishment - DNF (mind you it probably wasn't a great choice to take on a holiday!)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue December 16th, 2008, 5:43 pm

FBRI? Explain.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed December 17th, 2008, 2:32 am

[quote=""Leo62""]Jonathan Strange - I did finish that and I didn't regret it. I think this is a book that people either love or hate. It's very dense - I happened to be just in the mood for it at the time, and it really did pay off persistence with a satisfying ending IMHO :D [/quote]
Good to know! I started the hardcover not long after it was first published and realized I needed to concentrate a lot more than I was able to at that particular time in life. So it's been patiently waiting for another go since I only got a hundred or so pages in. I did buy the paperback for a dollar at a church sale earlier this year which might be easier to hold and will move it up in the TBR pecking order. I'll start from the beginning.

I didn't think it was the worst HF I've read, but not the usual sort though. Love the footnotes and the magic!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Wed December 17th, 2008, 6:51 am

[quote=""Amanda""]The Name of the Rose - FBRI

Dublin - FBRI (though I enjoyed London, Sarum and Russka very much)

Crime and Punishment - DNF (mind you it probably wasn't a great choice to take on a holiday!)[/quote]

I never read The Name of the Rose, but I liked the film.

Last summer I read Dublin and that was FBRI (Finished But Regretted It) for me too !!! And now I don't know if I want to read another book by Edward Rutherfurd even though I have Sarum on my TBR pile !!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed December 17th, 2008, 9:31 am

I loved both The Historian and Jonathan Strange. With JS, when I first started to read it I abandoned it as I wasn't in the mood. I don't know whether it might have been something to do with the fact it was the hardback version, it being so huge. I bought it later in paperback and then tried again in a few months - I thought it was fabulous second time round!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed December 17th, 2008, 5:43 pm

I know I'll probably get a lot of hate mail for this ( :D ), but I really didn't like Gone With the Wind. The romance there seemed too overblown.

Diana Gabaldon doesn't do too much for me, either, though I got through Outlander and the second book in the series without too much trouble. By the third book, I thought the series dragged.

Another not so favorite is Mistress of the Art of the Death; I gave up on it about 100 pages through because of all the anachronisms. It was disappointing, considering that's the type of HF I generally like.

Return to “General Discussion”