Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Worst HF you've ever read

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sun November 7th, 2010, 1:19 am

I plowed all the way through The Historian and must join the FBRI category on that one. I loved Pillars of the Earth when I read it at 20, but couldn't get past 30 pages when I picked it up again to refresh to watch the TV show.

At the same time, I almost hate to say anything more, since I know how an author pours him/herself into a book only to have a certain sector of the population hate it. Having got yet another rejection from a publisher for my novel ("I’m afraid I’m going to turn you down on this. It’s very nicely done, but I find I’m not falling in love with it, partly because I don’t feel optimistic about the market for this kind of medieval romantic historical.), this is one of the most depressing threads I've ever read!

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun November 7th, 2010, 2:04 am

[quote=""SarahWoodbury""]I plowed all the way through The Historian and must join the FBRI category on that one. I loved Pillars of the Earth when I read it at 20, but couldn't get past 30 pages when I picked it up again to refresh to watch the TV show.

At the same time, I almost hate to say anything more, since I know how an author pours him/herself into a book only to have a certain sector of the population hate it. Having got yet another rejection from a publisher for my novel ("I’m afraid I’m going to turn you down on this. It’s very nicely done, but I find I’m not falling in love with it, partly because I don’t feel optimistic about the market for this kind of medieval romantic historical.), this is one of the most depressing threads I've ever read![/quote]

Sorry to hear about the rejection Sarah - I've had similar and they tend to bring your day down.

As far as the thread goes, though, on the plus side, many of the novels mentioned have been bestsellers with numerous five star reviews. So just because some people hate a book doesn't mean thousands more aren't going to love it.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun November 7th, 2010, 5:05 am

Having got yet another rejection from a publisher for my novel ("I’m afraid I’m going to turn you down on this. It’s very nicely done, but I find I’m not falling in love with it, partly because I don’t feel optimistic about the market for this kind of medieval romantic historical.), this is one of the most depressing threads I've ever read!
Another editor may well feel more optimistic, Sarah. Focus on the "nicely done" part of the feedback, Just like readers and reviewers, editors have vastly different taste in novels. Otherwise, some of the ones in this thread would never have seen the light of day - and neither would some of the ones in the "10 best" thread!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sun November 7th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Thanks for that! I try to be optimistic, but some days . . .

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Post by Russ Whitfield » Mon November 8th, 2010, 11:01 am

At the same time, I almost hate to say anything more, since I know how an author pours him/herself into a book only to have a certain sector of the population hate it.
That used to upset me too - but don't worry about them, Sarah. Concentrate on the enlightened and groovy people who like your work and realise that the people who don't are bitter, unhealthy mole people who have nothing better to do than slag stuff off on the internet.
Having got yet another rejection from a publisher for my novel

This happens, don't worry, just keep plugging away. Almost everyone has a pile of rejection slips, but I believe that if you have finished piece of work, some one will publish it in the end. Its just an odds game and often has very little bearing on how "good" or "bad" the book is. Its totally subjective, don't lose sight of that.

And when you get your book published, realise that your publisher is enlightened and groovy and everyone who rejected it is bitter, unhealthy mole person with nothing better to do than write rejection letters all day long.

Don't let the basts grind you down, hun, you will win in the end.

Chin up and onwards!
Last edited by Russ Whitfield on Mon November 8th, 2010, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon November 8th, 2010, 2:22 pm

I'm not sure they should be catagorized as the worst historical fiction books ever, but they certainly were my least favorite.

Anything by Philippa Gregory (although I have to admit she introduced me to historical fiction so for that I will always be grateful!)

Anything by Allison Weir-her books always have been opinions in them than actual fact

and finally: Swan Thieves. I thought I would slit my wrists while my husband and I listened to it on our way home from Maine. Ugh.
Brenna

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Fri January 7th, 2011, 11:54 am

I would like to add "The Young Empress" to the list. Starts off well being the story of the Emperor Constantines second wife Fausta. (There are a lot of books about the early roman empire, but few concerning the later empire.) But then...well it had a disgusting account of how the Emperor punished prostitutes!

Couldn't really bring myself to finish it
Last edited by SCW on Thu January 27th, 2011, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”