Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Worst HF you've ever read

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 17th, 2008, 4:35 am

Oh another was "The Lady In The Tower" by Jean Plaidy, I didn't get very far, once it said that her mother was already dead, it totally turned me off, cause her mother died after Anne's execution!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed September 17th, 2008, 4:50 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Oh another was "The Lady In The Tower" by Jean Plaidy, I didn't get very far, once it said that her mother was already dead, it totally turned me off, cause her mother died after Anne's execution!

SM[/quote]

In Plaidy's defense, that seems to be a common error in older novels about Anne Boleyn. Margaret Campbell Barnes makes the same mistake (she gives Anne a stepmother) and I believe Norah Lofts does also. The error must have originated in some nonfiction work relied upon at the time--perhaps Agnes Strickland?

I have a dire feeling that if I listed some titles from my own hall of shame, it'd come back to haunt me some day, so I won't give specifics. Save to say that most are either so full of historical errors or written in such purple prose that I couldn't finish them.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Wed September 17th, 2008, 5:37 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Dublin (also published as The Princes of Ireland) by Edward Rutherford - couldn't finish it. Followed closely by Rosalind Miles book Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country.[/quote]

I know what you mean about Dublin ! I'm reading this now and having difficulties not to put it aside and start another book !! In my opinion it's draging and I feel as if it sidetracks if you know what I mean, not really to the point of the history of Dublin, what it is supposed to be after all isn't it ?! For instance the chapter about Strongbow is other people's stories and Strongbow is mentioined somewhere in it. I suppose that is just another way of telling "history" but it's not really my cup of tea.

Pitty about Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country, I've got that one on my TBR pile !! :(
Last edited by Carine on Wed September 17th, 2008, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Wed September 17th, 2008, 5:40 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Oh another was "The Lady In The Tower" by Jean Plaidy, I didn't get very far, once it said that her mother was already dead, it totally turned me off, cause her mother died after Anne's execution!

SM[/quote]

Yikes...I just bought that one. I'm on a mission to read every Jean Plaidy novel, which may very well take the remainder of my natural life, given how much that woman wrote if you include all of her other pen names.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 17th, 2008, 5:42 am

[quote=""JMJacobsen""]Yikes...I just bought that one. I'm on a mission to read every Jean Plaidy novel, which may very well take the remainder of my natural life, given how much that woman wrote if you include all of her other pen names.[/quote]

While I couldn't get passed it, it doesn't meant it's a bad book if others can.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed September 17th, 2008, 6:11 am

Hmm. That could be a very lengthy list!

Wideacre, The Queen's Fool and The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory.
Most of Bertrice Small's recent works
Most historical romances written in the 1970's & 80's.
Margaret George's novel about Mary Magdalene and the one about Helen of Troy
Versailles by Kathryn Davis
The Reluctant Suitor by Kathleen Woodiwiss
Love and Honor (can't remember the author, but it was set in 1780's Russia)
The White Night of St. Petersburg by Prince Michael of Greece
Two Crowns for America by Katherine Kurtz
Down the Common by Ann Baer
Mademoiselle Victorine by Debra Finnerman
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber (I know, people love it, but I hated it...)
Lies and Lust in the Tudor Court by Margaret Doner
Push Not the River by James Martin
Ruslan (another author I can't remember but it was horrible!)
The Sultan's Harem by Colin Falconer

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 17th, 2008, 6:18 am

What was it about the book by Prince Michael that you didn't like?

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed September 17th, 2008, 6:27 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]What was it about the book by Prince Michael that you didn't like?

SM[/quote]

http://www.epinions.com/content_160409882244

The White Night of St. Petersburg by Prince Michael of Greece. Just because you happen to be a descendant of the Romanovs doesn?t mean that you can actually write about them. This is a dreadful historical novel, telling the story of a very obscure Grand Duke, who was a bit of a thief, sexual adventurer and all-around-no-goodnik. Eventually his bad behaviour got him banished to Central Asia, where he was ignored by most of the family and generally forgotten. It sounds interesting, but the writing is so superficial and dull, the characters two dimentional and flat, that I was just happy to see the novel end.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 17th, 2008, 6:31 am

[quote=""Telynor""]http://www.epinions.com/content_160409882244

The White Night of St. Petersburg by Prince Michael of Greece. Just because you happen to be a descendant of the Romanovs doesn?t mean that you can actually write about them. This is a dreadful historical novel, telling the story of a very obscure Grand Duke, who was a bit of a thief, sexual adventurer and all-around-no-goodnik. Eventually his bad behaviour got him banished to Central Asia, where he was ignored by most of the family and generally forgotten. It sounds interesting, but the writing is so superficial and dull, the characters two dimentional and flat, that I was just happy to see the novel end.[/quote]

Eek, will avoid that!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Wed September 17th, 2008, 7:32 am

I'm another who couldn't finish Pillars of Earth, never got into it.

Return to “General Discussion”