Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rosalind Laker

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Rosalind Laker

Post by Misfit » Tue September 16th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Looks like we don't have a forum for her yet :)

I really enjoy her novels, although you have to space them out a bit. Her formula gets old after a while, enterprising independent heroine setting up a career/business of her own, etc. Dances with Kings is my favorite so far. Any how, I see there's another of her books scheduled for republish in 2009, Garlands of Gold. Link and brief synopsis on Amazon.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue September 16th, 2008, 4:12 pm

I read To Dance With Kings, The Golden Tulip, and Circle of Pearls and loved them all but then I tried Banners of Silk and absolutley hated it so I've been staying away from her novels for a while. I went and bought about 10 of then so I've got plenty to read when I decide to try her again.

I do have to say though that TDWK is one of the best novels ever...as far as sweeping romantic epics with lots of history thrown in go!! :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 16th, 2008, 4:38 pm

I know what you mean. I've had enough of a rest so I put a hold on a couple at the library and give some of the older ones another whirl.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon October 27th, 2008, 1:41 pm

I just finished one of Laker's earliest books (if not her first) this morning. It's called The Smuggler's Bride and very different from her usual formula of spunky heroine with a career. Yes, the heroine is spunky and beautiful but this one is a nice spooky little mystery with lots of things that go bump in the night and a couple of seriously hair raising scary moments. Short at just under 200 pages but very entertaining and perfect for a pre Halloween read.

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Tue October 28th, 2008, 5:56 pm

I have always enjoyed her books too, but I can't read more than 2 in a row because of the formula. Most recently I read Banners of Silk. It has been a long time since I read To Dance With Kings, i may have to revisit that one.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 28th, 2008, 6:03 pm

You do have to space them out or you get burnout. Tree of Gold was good, about two star-crossed lovers during the Napoleonic wars. Although she stretched out the near-misses and misunderstandings way too much.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Garlands of Gold

Post by Misfit » Sun December 14th, 2008, 1:55 am

Another one of her books coming out new early next year.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 4:09 pm

She is probably my all time, all around favorite HF author! 'To Dance with Kings' is one of the best books I've ever read and one of my first HF. I read several more of her novels because they're fast and easy reads, although the rest do seem to follow the same path.

If you were going to read only one, it HAS to be TDWK. I loved the twist at the end, too ;)

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 5:33 pm

TDWK is a great novel! I loved it and it's now on my keeper shelf!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “By Author”