Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kindle and the British Library

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
SGM
Compulsive Reader

Kindle and the British Library

Post by SGM » Sun March 13th, 2011, 1:21 pm

I have just found the article below:

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/42090.php

I am very happy to discover that the British Library is now beginning to think digitally.

Whatever the arguments for or against e-book readers, it is absolutely wonderful to increase the availability of rare books to the general public if it can be done without damaging them.

As far as I understand it (but I might have misunderstood) if you add an OOP book to your wishlist and it comes up on Kindle, you will get a notification.
Last edited by SGM on Sun March 13th, 2011, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun March 13th, 2011, 2:28 pm

[quote=""SGM""]I have just found the article below:

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/42090.php

I am very happy to discover that the British Library is now beginning to think digitally.

Whatever the arguments for or against e-book readers, it is absolutely wonderful to increase the availability of rare books to the general public if it can be done without damaging them.
.[/quote]

I thought you could do that online already. I can't find the site now, but I remember being ablt to look at works on my computer.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun March 13th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Free?

I have a card to use there but for most things I actually have to order up the book and go in and view it. But at least I can view the catalogue on-line.

But you might well be right.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun March 13th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Ash, do you mean Project Gutenberg?

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun March 13th, 2011, 9:35 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Ash, do you mean Project Gutenberg?[/quote]

It might be the National Archives here as they have made quite a lot of documents available online and other interesting stuff too (audio as well as documentary).

At the moment, I think what the British Library-Amazon deal is about is a lot of 19th century literature with limited availability outside the UK. As far as I can tell Amazon will be offering it for free - doubtless after a hoard of volunteers have cleaned it up.

I just hope they do a better job than has been done on some of the Amazon old free stuff that I have seen which has quite a few laughable spelling mistakes (ie the a correct spelt word - just the wrong one) and a lot of bad formatting. Gutenberg offerings are of much better quality.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon March 14th, 2011, 10:25 am

The article is from Feb 2010 so I'm wondering when these will get added? Currently, Amazon US has over 15,000 free public domain books and the UK store has over 4,000 so an additional 65,000 will be impressive. I imagine many of them are already available on Gutenberg and/or Archive.org but with Kindle, they'll be synced and easier to manage.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon March 14th, 2011, 6:35 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]The article is from Feb 2010 so I'm wondering when these will get added? Currently, Amazon US has over 15,000 free public domain books and the UK store has over 4,000 so an additional 65,000 will be impressive. I imagine many of them are already available on Gutenberg and/or Archive.org but with Kindle, they'll be synced and easier to manage.[/quote]

It quite possibily has something to do with different copyright law.

Most of the Gutenberg offerings seem to have been scanned from US editions even is the author is English.

I have also seen reference to books uploaded by Google (or other organisations) from a copy of a book in one of the Oxford University libraries which are available only to the US.

I looked into the various copyright laws ---eeek - and then looked out as it was far too much effort and I had better things to do - like read books.

Gutenberg and Archive.org put the responsibility in the hands of the downloader. I suspect Amazon can't get away with that.

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”