Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Future BOTM Themes

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Future BOTM Themes

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri March 11th, 2011, 5:42 am

This question was asked some time ago in the Site Suggestions area, but as there are some people who don't notice that area and it's been a while since the question was asked, I'll ask again for suggestions for future Book of the Month themes.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri March 11th, 2011, 11:07 am

Young Adult

I know some of us are in the YA HF challenge, so why not? Plus it might help to destroy the idea that YA are just dumb teen books.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri March 11th, 2011, 2:24 pm

How about HF that was adapted into film? (not tv series) Some interesting ones might be True Grit, The Three Muskeeters, Corelli's Mandolin, or The Painted Veil.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri March 11th, 2011, 3:08 pm

[quote=""Ash""]How about HF that was adapted into film? (not tv series) Some interesting ones might be True Grit, The Three Muskeeters, Corelli's Mandolin, or The Painted Veil.[/quote] You could add Jane Eyre to that list (as well as dozens of others). I just heard on the news this morning that it's been made into a movie -- again. For the 20-something time.

Other theme ideas -- how about the American West? Or Old California? (I have Ramona on my TBR). :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 11th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Actually the new version of JE doesn't look bad, I think there's a trailer on the film thread. I agree it has been a bit over-filmed though. Not sure if I'd call it HF though, as it was contemporary for it's time, but I think we've had this argument before!
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri March 11th, 2011, 4:47 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Not sure if I'd call it HF though, as it was contemporary for it's time, but I think we've had this argument before![/quote] You're right -- silly me. I've been working on a problem at work for two days, so my brain is like pudding right now. :o

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri March 11th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Would it be so terrible to have a book that was contemporary for its time but is now historical? Why not have a classics theme for one month?

I also like the ideas of the American West and books that have been made into films (for that one we could also all try to rent the movie/movies and compare them).

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri March 11th, 2011, 6:29 pm

For the purpose of tossing out some more ideas:

Fin de siècle literature

Historical Fantasy

Historical Adventure

Historical War Fiction

Epics or Sagas

Older Historicals, e.g., still in print historicals written before 1960, probably a subset of classic historicals, but I'm thinking of authors that aren't as frequently read by the masses. With Sourcebooks reprinting a lot of older stuff, there could be quite a few to choose from.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri March 11th, 2011, 6:47 pm

A lot of great suggestions. I know we just had Civil war but there's also revolutionary war as well - and not just US Rev. War.

YA's a great idea but I'll have to pass on that one. Now that I'm finished with mine I can talk a bit more, but after reading and reviewing 40 excerpts for Amazon's Breakthrough Novel Award of which 90% were YA and first person at that I think I will pass away from old age before I go year YA again ;) :o :confused:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri March 11th, 2011, 7:08 pm

I know it would be a toughie for those without e-booker readers but how about poll from a selection of what is free from Project Gutenberg. There are loads of old historicals (some of which, of course, do not bear the test of time but some do) and an exchange of views on those might be interesting. Given what Gutenberg say about Amazon and their free or very low-priced old books, it would be nice to give some support to Gutenberg.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Feature of the Month”