Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Question about book awards

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Question about book awards

Post by Misfit » Thu March 10th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Too long to explain the whole kerfuffle, but this question comes around from a couple of comments I received on a recent Amazon review. The first commenter mentioned something about how said book won an award and now a publisher agent has just commented back. To avoid mentioning names I'm not providing the link to the comment and will edit names out of the quoted comment below.
........ published Mr. ........ novel, ........., first in the six book series, .......

We submitted the book to USA 2010 National Book Review Awards competition. There are about 100 recognized national competitions ranging from RITA (Romance Writers of America) to SPUR (Western Writers of America), Indie, Ben Franklin and numerous others. There are no national competitions which do not charge an entry fee for submissions. Each and every book must pay to enter an awards contest - including here on Amazon.

Each and every one of the thousands of submissions to USA Book Review paid a $69.00 entry fee, as did .......on behalf of it's author. Submissions include self published (though some other contests do not allow self published entries) small independent presses like our own, and medium and big name publishing houses.

There were more than fifty categories of awards for various genre, non fiction, and fiction works. Each category had a Winner (best) and from one to seven Finalists (runner-ups).

The number of entrants in the Western and Romance, FAR exceeds the number of winner/finalists in each category. We are very proud that Threads West was the Winner in the Western category, and one of the Finalists in the Romance category.

I can assure you, no person at ....., nor Mr. ..... knows or has ever met any person connected with this national competition, nor does anyone connected with the book know who the reviewers were. We were completely surprised and thrilled with the awards!

This information is readily obtainable on-line. Honest non-motivated opinions of any nature by any reviewer, whether novice, experienced, semi-professional or professional are always welcome. Facts are seperate from opinion and should be accurate.

Very truly yours,
As I understand it we're being told that all competitions come with a price tag. Any of our authors involved in these care to enlighten me?
Last edited by Misfit on Thu March 10th, 2011, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu March 10th, 2011, 8:10 pm

I don't know about all, but the Romance Writers of America, a reputable organization, charges an entry fee for their RITA awards.

http://www.rwa.org/galleries/default-fi ... 20Form.pdf

The IPPY awards and the ForeWord Magazine awards, which are mainly open to independently published writers, also charge an entry fee. The fee, of course, doesn't guarantee a prize.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu March 10th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Thanks for that. This has been one of those books with very interesting reviews (including one from said publishing agent), let alone some of the comments on the critical reviews. Then the book fell into my lap from a librarything win :rolleyes:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu March 10th, 2011, 11:30 pm

The RNA in the UK doesn't charge publishers to enter. All they have to supply are reading copies of the novels they enter - and pay for their tickets at the awards events. I don't know if the CWA charges their members.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri March 11th, 2011, 3:57 am

From what I can tell most (but not all) competitions charge an entry fee and require the entrant to send one or two copies of their book at the entrant's expense. This is why I've never entered any competitions. I can't afford the entry fees alone. Adding a copy or two of the book makes it even further from a possibility.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri March 11th, 2011, 4:56 pm

I've never seen a contest that didn't charge a fee, but was curious about the biggies. I thought maybe the Pulitzer and Booker might be by nomination. I checked the Pulitzer and they charge a $50 "handling fee." I couldn't find anything on the Booker site, but didn't spend a lot of time there.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri March 11th, 2011, 5:15 pm

So you mean an author has to actively enter their work into the Pulitzer Prize "contest" to be considered for the prize? That does seem kind of un-prestigious somehow. :)

Congratulations! You've won the Pulitzer Prize! Oh, and by the way, here's a bill for $50 to cover the handling fees....... sheesh :p

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat March 12th, 2011, 4:36 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Congratulations! You've won the Pulitzer Prize! Oh, and by the way, here's a bill for $50 to cover the handling fees....... sheesh :p [/quote]

I was very surprised. Here's the quote from the application for 2010:

ENTRIES FOR THE AWARD
What books are eligible for consideration? Books first published in the United States during 2010. All entries must be made available for purchase by the general public in either hardcover or bound paperback book form. In the Fiction, Biography and General Nonfiction categories, authors must be United States citizens. In the History category, the author may be of any nationality but the subject of the book must be U.S. history. In the Poetry category, the award is for original verse by an American author.

Must the publisher make the entry? No, anyone (including the author) may submit a book that is eligible.

What is the deadline for entry? The final deadline for all books published in 2010 is October 1.

What if a book will not be published until October, November or December? Books published during the calendar year but after the entry deadline should be submitted in galley or page-proof form by October 1, 2010.

What materials make up a complete entry?
1. A completed entry form, one biography and one photograph of the author. (Author photos may be submitted as prints (not photocopies) or as jpegs on discs. Please do not e-mail photos.)
2. Four copies of the book
3. $50 handling fee payable to Columbia University/Pulitzer Prizes
(Fees for multiple entries should be paid with one check.)

Can books be sent before other materials are ready? Yes, you may send books first and follow up with forms, fees and other materials. However, please be sure to clearly indicate in which category the book should be entered. All entries must be completed by October 1, 2010.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat March 12th, 2011, 8:57 pm

I don't think the Langum historical fiction prize charges a fee (no reference to one on their website, anyway) and American Library Association's book prizes don't either. Interesting about the Pulitzer!

Return to “The Writing Business”