Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tower of London

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Tower of London

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 4th, 2011, 11:02 am

I'm off to the Ceremony of the Keys tonight, hope we don't get locked in! ;)

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Fri March 4th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Ooo, I'm jealous! I wish I could hop a plane right now...

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri March 4th, 2011, 7:33 pm

And on the subject of the Tower of London -- you might (or might not) enjoy the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFq-v7TKdQ
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Fri March 4th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Factoid of the day: Gruffydd ap Llywelyn, the son of Llywelyn Fawr, was trying to escape from the Tower of London in 1244 and the rope broke. He fell to his death, freeing his half-brother, Dafydd ap Llywelyn, to resume his resistance to King Henry.

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Sat March 5th, 2011, 8:12 am

[quote=""SGM""]And on the subject of the Tower of London -- you might (or might not) enjoy the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFq-v7TKdQ[/quote]

Very funny guy. I haven't seen this one in person, but there is always at least one of the Wardens having fun describing some of the (many) botched executions in gory detail! :eek: This one doesn't seem to like the Scots, French, English (he says he's Irish!) and the Italians. Right at the end of the clip you can hear an American tourist saying "Wait until he gets to the Americans!"

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat March 5th, 2011, 10:00 am

He is as much taking the mickey out of our historical prejudices as anyone else. And as to the Anglo-French antagonism that is about the oldest in the history of European nation states -- and by some thought to be the cause of the rise of the English and French states. It all goes back to the Angevins or maybe even the Normans who had more control within the French territory they held than the kings of France for quite some time.

But it is all a long-standng joke and not to be taken seriously at all.
Last edited by SGM on Sat March 5th, 2011, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat March 5th, 2011, 11:11 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I'm off to the Ceremony of the Keys tonight, hope we don't get locked in! ;) [/quote]

Hope it was fun.

Nothing to do with the tower, but you just reminded me of the time a mate of mine got locked in the catacombs in Rome :-)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat March 5th, 2011, 11:44 am

The Ceremony was good - our Beefeater was very entertaining and played up the ghost story angle and I'm sure had a few of the small children in our group shivering a bit. What was really creepy was hearing the story of the Princes in the Tower (very abridged version!) and their disappearance and eventual discovery, whilst standing right outside the Bloody Tower, and looking across to the area where they played in happier times. Definite shiver down the spine then!

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sat March 5th, 2011, 1:08 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]The Ceremony was good - our Beefeater was very entertaining and played up the ghost story angle and I'm sure had a few of the small children in our group shivering a bit. What was really creepy was hearing the story of the Princes in the Tower (very abridged version!) and their disappearance and eventual discovery, whilst standing right outside the Bloody Tower, and looking across to the area where they played in happier times. Definite shiver down the spine then![/quote]

Wow, it sounds fantastic! I'd love to do that one day

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat March 5th, 2011, 2:06 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]The Ceremony was good - our Beefeater was very entertaining and played up the ghost story angle and I'm sure had a few of the small children in our group shivering a bit. What was really creepy was hearing the story of the Princes in the Tower (very abridged version!) and their disappearance and eventual discovery, whilst standing right outside the Bloody Tower, and looking across to the area where they played in happier times. Definite shiver down the spine then![/quote]

How far in advance did you get the tickets? This is something I'd definitely like to do on my next visit to London. I've always thought of getting tickets too late for past visits.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “Travel”